1998 Es300 - Engine Won't Idle

I am a new member.

When I went to use our ES300 today- it stalled. I ran it around the block but it stalled each time

I took my foot off the accelerator.

The car has 62000 miles. Never been tune-up. Had the oxygen senso replaced

three months ago, other than that no other problems.

Battery is original. Airfilter has been replaced with oxygen sensor,

Should I take the car to have it tune-up? or have them just fix the problem?

Can I take to Goodyear or Toyota or schould I take to Lexus dealer?

Please e-mail me at cooperjn@hotmail.com. I need to make a decision soon.

John Cooper

does it at least start right back up? Does it start then stalls? the best bet would be to get an ODB 2 code reader and plug it in and see what error codes you get. This will save you $80 at the dealer.

Mine did the same thing about 3 months ago and it was the EGR valve ($135). The best thing is get the codes if you can.

With 62k its probably time to tune it up. I changed out my plugs a little early at 55k and the rear 3 plugs were in bad shape. See if you can do some of it yourself. Otherwise, I would probably go to a Lexus Certified shop, or maybe a Toyota Dealership.

I definately would do what MB says regarding the ODB 2 code read anywhoo.

you got hosed if you changed an egr to stop a car from stalling

The problem is common for all 97-01 toyota v6's the iacv (idle air control valve) is dirty clean it or replace it and the car will run fine as it is clogged causing the car to shut off when it is running irch at startup by not allowing enough air into the engine so it stifles and dies.

I think you might be wrong here. My Car was stalling and if it luckly did it would idle about 200 rpms then go back up and down, then stall The ODB 2 code correlated to the bad EGR. Replace that and works like new…Oh and it was $135 since the clueless Lexus service person said we could not find your VIN in the computer. Then I had to be an !Removed! to her and she got another “hired help”. And what do you know the car is CPO! Morons.