Winter Driving Sc 430

dbk123

1. Is there any truth to the rumor that an all-wheel-drive version of this car will ever be made?

2. There is a general concensus that this car cannot be driven even in a dusting of snow on the ground with the stock run-flat tires. Are there snow tires made for this car that will allow it to be driven with a reasonable degree of safety in the snow? How much do they cost and what would the service department charge to change and store the tires twice a year?

3. Why were run-flat tires that last only 12000 miles and take away the smooth ride that is a Lexus trademark be chosen for this car? This seems very impractical and expensive as a yearly cost for the average driver.

4. Are there other non-run flat tires that can be used? What type of tire will fit in the spare compartment in the trunk?

Funny you should ask....just had my 4 tires (17000 miles) replaced yesterday with non-run flat Michelin Pilots because I had a major nail in one and the dealer wasn't equipped to deal with either repair or replacement (the run-flats can't be repaired). Now, it was a godsend that I could drive on the flat, but it took forever for NTB to get me the right tires and get them installed.

The ride is extremely quiet and smooth today. Do I worry about not having a spare? Yes...but since I've only had 4 flats in 35 years of driving, I guess I'll be okay.

The winter driving issue is real. With the run-flats, it wouldn't budge...I got stuck on a perfectly flat road in an inch of snow. Luckily, I kept my Blazer for winter driving. But how many people can do that...or can put themself in a position that they need to? So I'm hoping this new tires, rated as All-Season, will work.

BTW, total cost of replacing 4 tires......$1100!

BUT, I still love my SC430 and wouldn't give it up for the world.