Rx300 And Xm Radio

CliffDillard

My wife drives here RX300 all over North Carolina on business and we are interested in giving her something better than "talk radio".

An XM radio option does not appear to be offered by Lexus so I am looking for suggestions.

The factory installed equipment looks great and I am trying to avoid an "aftermarket" look. Suggestions are appreciated.

Climate control buttons are integrated into the head unit, right? If so, it'll be a PITA to get an aftermarket head unit working. There are a few other options like a tape deck adapter unit, or an RF unit. I dunno if the stock HU has an aux-input, but that may be an option as well.

Check out my Sirius install by clicking on the garage link in my signature. When the armrest is closed you would never know the car had anything aftermarket installed.

I installed the commander series xm radio. Very small head. Very visable. Used velcro for mounting the head. You can get the radio installed for about $45-75. I did the install myself and located the small cpu interface behind the center console. Iworked out well. The sound from the FM tuner is quite good too. Much better low end than standard FM.

I mounted the antenna (magnet type) in the middle of the car about 4" above the windshield. The wires is very small and I ran the wire through the rain channels, then used a drop of hot melt glue to secure. You can't see the wire or glue.

Worked out very well.

• 2 weeks later...
I installed the commander series xm radio. Very small head. Very visable. Used velcro for mounting the head. You can get the radio installed for about $45-75. I did the install myself and located the small cpu interface behind the center console. Iworked out well. The sound from the FM tuner is quite good too. Much better low end than standard FM.

I mounted the antenna (magnet type) in the middle of the car about 4" above the windshield. The wires is very small and I ran the wire through the rain channels, then used a drop of hot melt glue to secure. You can't see the wire or glue.

Worked out very well.

jerryray,

What type device did you use for connection to the Mark Levinson system. i.e., FM modulator, wireless or direct connection?

I have a 99 RX300 with a Sirius set up. Over 2 years, I have received excellent service and performance from Sirius.

Like SW, I mounted the unit inside the console at the front (can be viewed with the drawer only slightly opened) of the top drawer. The receiver is mounted under the drivers seat and the antenna is mounted at the rear of the luggage rack and blends in with the rack.

From the interior the vehicle looks stock. My only improvement, which came out AFTER I purchased, would be having the unit that can be removed and taken to your home stereo.

The real mystery to me was the need to include a remote control for the stereo. It made sense when my 11 year old daughter took one look and exclaimed "great, now I can control the radio from the back seat. Shortly thereafter, the remote vanished ;)

Nick

Las Vegas

I have a 99 RX300 with a Sirius set up. Over 2 years, I have received excellent service and performance from Sirius.

Like SW, I mounted the unit inside the console at the front (can be viewed with the drawer only slightly opened) of the top drawer. The receiver is mounted under the drivers seat and the antenna is mounted at the rear of the luggage rack and blends in with the rack.

From the interior the vehicle looks stock. My only improvement, which came out AFTER I purchased, would be having the unit that can be removed and taken to your home stereo.

The real mystery to me was the need to include a remote control for the stereo. It made sense when my 11 year old daughter took one look and exclaimed "great, now I can control the radio from the back seat. Shortly thereafter, the remote vanished ;)

Nick

Las Vegas

• 11 months later...
I have a 99 RX300 with a Sirius set up.  Over 2 years, I have received excellent service and performance from Sirius. 

Like SW, I mounted the unit inside the console at the front (can be viewed with the drawer only slightly opened) of the top drawer. 

Nick

Las Vegas

Nick,

How did you open the center console? I am attemping to also install my satellite radio unit in the top drawer but I remove the two screws on each side of the console that are visible with the front seats all the way up but only the rear rises, I can get the whole top to come off. What holds the top of the console on the front end of it?

Thanks,

Kevin

Muscle Shoals, AL