Windshield Washer Sensor

Here is a crazy situation. I have been having problems with my windshield washer fluid sensor. The light has been on in my dash for 2 years. I have yet to get it looked at because it was not at the top of my priority list. Yesterday I noticed that I used my washer and the light went out. I figured the problem was resolved but I was wrong. When I filled the reservoir the light came back on. The sensor is working backwards. Indicator on when the tank is full and indicator off when the tank is empty. Do you think I should replace the sensor? I found where the sensor is located when changing my fog lights in the bumper.

My guess is that the sensor DOES work because you get a different indication when it is empty than when it is full. What has happened is that two leads have been reversed so that you get the light on when it is full and the light off when it needs refilling.

Changing the sensor should not change that. My opinion is that there is a simple correction needed in wiring. Two leads need to be cut and swapped before re-soldering. The electrician could also check it before resoldering to be absolutely positive this was the case.

If the car was in a front end crash it may have been damaged or incorrectly repaired.

It may either be shorting the wires somewhere around the bottle.

Try disconnecting it and see what happens.

the year might have helped also

another possibility is if the sensor is a float type sensor, then the sensor itself may have been installed in upside down. The wiring is correct, but the orientation of the float is wrong.

When the tank is empty the float is hanging all the way down and not making electrical contact to light the empty light.

When fluid is added the float is forced upward and the electrical contact is made, thus lighting the empty indicator light.

just a thought.

steviej

I was involved in a front end collision and I noticed the problem right after I picked the car up. I contacted the dealership where I had it repaired and they told me that the reservoir wasn't damaged. I am going to try to disconnect the sensor and play around with it to see exactly what it is. I noticed where the reservoir is when I was changing my fog lights.