Rock Chip In Window

Just succumbed to a thrown missile :o from car in front and it collided with my front driver's side window 4 inches up from base (directly in line with my head). It is approx. 2 mm in diameter and no cracking noted. What do I do so that this doesn't progress. Never cared on my Totota Camry LE but this beast is different. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Slate

It's the front windshield. I cannot see a crack, only an imprint about 2 mm diameter and 1 mm deep. I don't need to fill it with something or have one of those window repair gypsies come calling?? :D Thanks.

I had one about about 1 inch in diameter "filled" recently. The main reason I did it was to stop the spreading as it had one "arm" that was concerning me. I'd say after they were done it looked about 25% better but I wouldn't have had them do it for cosmetic reasons only. Good luck!

I've had cracks in my windshield on nearly every car I owned, plus company cars, in Texas. Not sure why Texas, but it's so common there that, even if I didn't have collision coverage an an old car, I did take broken glass coverage. I learned the hard way that when I get a chip on a windshield, and do nothing about it, I would get a traveling crack later. Best thing is to replace the window, even with a deductible, if it's staring you in the face. Some say the crack fillers work-some say no.

Strange thing is that I now live in California-and never see a cracked windshield.

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

On the way down here (Florida) I had a stone hit the windshield in Tennessee. When it came time to getting the car re-registered they told me I must have a Florida based company underwrite motor insurance.

I then had to take the car to an insurance office for inspection where I was told I could have the windshield replaced without it affecting the no-claim or it having any effect on future premiums (I had also noticed that a lot of TN windshields have cracks in them).

I’m not so sure I would trust the ‘quick-fix but cheap’ repairs, as glass and the compound would react differently to heat/cold and might cause a fracture.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

Thanks for the observations. I am sitting on the fence now where I thought I was about to climb down. Hopefully there will be a post that will set me in a definitive direction. Thanks for all of your advice/thoughts.

I have one on my windshield that sounds just like yours, been there 7 months now and no cracks. I keep meaning to have the windshield replaced but hate to break the factory seal for something so minor.

I really don't think it will spread later.

My father had 4 different windshields in his 98 LS before he traded it and never had a problem with leakage or with added wind noise but still, I'll wait until something bigger hits it that is really ugly before I let them break the factory seal. The chip is an annoyance but not as much of an annoyance as leakage or wind rush would be.

I just had a rock chip my window a couple of days ago and it is really bothering me. It looks like a star, so I it did crack the windshield. If I did use a repair service, could they make it look as if it was never there? Also, on average, how much does those windshield repair guys charge?

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

From what little I know about these types of repairs they fill in the crack/hole with a resin. It doesn’t seem to be very clear when its cured and you will notice it. I’ve talked with a couple of clients that have had windscreen replaced (various marquee vehicles) and they did not experience wind noise or leaks.

If you do have the windscreen repaired please share your experience, thanks

As too how much, the two clients I asked about cost had the repair done and then had the windscreen replaced, as they were not happy with the aesthetics so I didn’t think it wise to ask about the cost.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

I just had a rock chip my window a couple of days ago and it is really bothering me. It looks like a star, so I it did crack the windshield. If I did use a repair service, could they make it look as if it was never there? Also, on average, how much does those windshield repair guys charge?

The one I had filled looked a little better like I mentioned above and I continued to notice it afterwards but it wasn't worth replacing the windshield to me. It was on a 97 Civic.

I had the OEM windshield replaced in my 97 LS and have not had a problem. Insurance took care of it but I think the OEM glass was ~$400 IIRC. Keep in mind if you use insurance, at least in NC, replacing a windshield will not raise your current rates but will be a negative factor against you if you ever change insurance companies.