Inside/outside Fresh Air Switch

dakrri

;)

For maximum initial cooling the inside/outside air circulation switch always sets itself automatically to “inside-air” when I'm starting the truck. Does anybody know of a way to override this feature and have it stay on outside-air? There are often times the outside air is cool enough, and I don't need the air conditioner, but that dammmm switch is automatically on inside air and I don’t notice it for miles down the road! Same thing happens in winter when the defrost setting is on.

Also, when I was in the woods this last weekend, I had to turn around on a narrow/tight trail. I was backing up a small, but steep incline, and the truck had a horrible squealing noise when I gave it gas. It sounded like a belt squeal but it was coming from the back wheel or a differential. I did it a few times just to see if I was hearing things. The truck would not move backwards because I was bottomed out on the frame/bumper. I could move forward and the noise was not the body or frame rubbing on the ground.

I did experience the same noise months back when I got stuck backing into a snow bank.

dakrri

450 or 470?

In the 450, you should be able to bypass the Auto climate control by pressing desired buttons. The Auto climate control wants to do its own thing -- most times it means recirculating the air.

True. There's a little switch on the back side of the unit. Means taking that portion of the dash apart, but not really a big deal (Only 4 screws to deal with).

That said, I don't think this is quite what he's wanting to do...unless I misunderstood the question.

Unless you are all OK, you need to explain if you have the 470 or 450.

On the 470, the vent recerculation can be set in two ways. Don't know about the 450 as the systems are different.

The squeal sounds like a 450 with the rear differential locked and under big time load.

You can get the 470 differentials to make noise when the center diff is locked, the steering is cocked all the way over and you are under load. In fact, if you toggle the trac control on and off you can trash the ring gear. If you do this sufficiently, the truck can not be driven. Big buck boo boo.

Tell us more.

trav

1996 LX450

I know that you can bypass the automatic control by just pushing the “auto” button to off. But even in manual mode, when you first start the engine, with the air-conditioning on or off, the recirculation switch goes to inside air automatically. Doug you mention an override switch on the backside of the module?? Do tell.

The squealing noise was probably from overexerting the 4-wheel drive system

Sorry about the slow response to the forum, but I only check it when I’m in the office at work.

There's a little switch on the back of the control unit. You'd need to remove that section of the dash (remove the 2 screws behind the ash tray and the two screws in the little cubby where the cup-holder goes -- the cover pops right off. I belive the switch is in the lower right hand corner (if not there it's in the lower left corner). It's used to go from Auto to non-auto (i.e. manual). (I'd have to review the manual for specifics on location, but you'll know it when you see it.