Reliability

On a stock SC300 97ish (unsure)

Auto

Like at what point or how many miles would the engine pretty much die, or when parts really start to fail.

I'm looking into a car with around 160,000 year probably 97, would like some type of engine swap be needed.

As a rule, SC's don't make good used cars because the prior owners commonly drove them hurriedly and abusively plus they are sometimes too cheap to keep up with the factory required preventive maintenance. So SC's are pretty much ready for the scrap yard after 150-200K unless you can find one owned by a Grandma or Grandpa

LS owners, on the other hand tend to be older, weathier, calmer and more responsible owners / drivers. Some of their cars last beyond 550,000 miles

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/lloyd.jpg because gentle driving + timely preventive maintenance = very low rates of mechanical wear to the moving parts of the engine and drivetrain.

I believe everything I read on the internet.

:lol::lol:

the 2jzge is a very strong engine. ANY engine can last along time as long as it was taken care of. the 2jzge can take more wear and tear than alot of engines out there and still be drivable. theres no given time a engine can "die". just have the compression ratio checked.

As a rule, SC's don't make good used cars because the prior owners commonly drove them hurriedly and abusively plus they are sometimes too cheap to keep up with the factory required preventive maintenance. So SC's are pretty much ready for the scrap yard after 150-200K unless you can find one owned by a Grandma or Grandpa

LS owners, on the other hand tend to be older, weathier, calmer and more responsible owners / drivers. Some of their cars last beyond 550,000 miles

http://www.saber.net/~monarch/lloyd.jpg because gentle driving + timely preventive maintenance = very low rates of mechanical wear to the moving parts of the engine and drivetrain.

that is the stupidest thing i have EVER heard. you just judged ALL SC owners as crazy drivers who are to poor to fix there car up. you obviously have never really looked into the SC series. :chairshot:

I believe everything I read on the internet.

It's routine for Toyota engines to last 400K+ miles IF they are driven gently and scheduled maintenance is never neglected. Like here is a currently running newspaper ad for an LS400 with 418,000 miles:

Description — $4,500, LS400 1990 Good to Exc cond. 418k mi.

A Must See To Believe $4500 obo 916-580-9036 ...

GET MORE DETAILS     

Listing Date: June 20, 2004

Listing Source: Sacramento Bee

I won't go so far as to call any idea anything. Perspective is personal. It's just flawed logic. Sure, LS's get up there in miles. So do SC's. I'll bet the actual number is the same. To stereotype is just so common. So some old lady never goes over 3,900 rpms but never changes her oil either. Sounds like a winner. It works both ways. In fact, I'll trust the toyota 2jz inline 6 over almost any other motor made.