Anyone Had Oil Changes @ Toyota Dealer?

90LS400Lexus

Does anyone take their LS400 to a local Toyota dealership for a oil change? My local Lexus dealer (also a Toyota dealer) is 25 miles away in the next city to my west, so I have been thinking of taking my car to my local Toyota dealer here in town- which is only about 8 miles from me- not to mention that the Lexus dealer charges $39.95 for a oil change and the local Toyota dealer said they would change it for $24.95. I called and they said they do oil changes on Lexus cars, but I forgot to mention it is a LS400. I know that the ES300 is similar mechanically to a Camry, so I guess they use the same filter, but I wonder if they carry the oil filter for the LS400? Perhaps it is the same as the one on some other Toyota? They said no appointment necessary. I was just wanting to know (without calling them again) if anyone else here has had any problems with taking their LS400 for a oil change at a Toyota dealer? I take my other cars to Wal-Mart for oil changes, but I want to make sure I have a genuine Toyota filter on my car.

Thanks for any information.

If you know the correct Toyota oil filter for your LS, why not make a call to the dealer again just to see if they have any in stock as they might be used for other Toyota vehicles......if not, I dought there would be a big deal if you ordered several from the parts dept & just brought them there when you go to get an oil change in the future. B)

:cheers:

90LS400Lexus, Toyota will carrie the correct oil filter for your LS400. It is the same as all the V-8's in the trucks. I used the same filter on our '02 Sequoia as my LS400. Same part number.

west.

Ok dude, your scaring me!!!!

I have 99LS, and 02 Sequia.......and yes; I buy my oil filters from Toyota too! We play golf, have great families..........life is good!!

:cheers:

90LS,

Check your oil level before you leave the dealer........They usually leave it 1/2 quart low. I like it just under the full mark, so make them top if off perfect. Another reason I DIY......just picky I suppose ;)

may I suggest buying mobile1 10w-30 full-synthetic by the galon (sold in Sam's club), and mobile1 oil filter? just bring them to any auto service shop for oil change with ur own oil. it shouldn't be over $20. my mechanic charges me just $10 for the job.

full-synt. oil lasts longer than regular oil. 5K/5-mon frequency is the average suggestion heard on LOC.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...howtopic=10448&

for high-millege LS4, 10w instead of 5w has been recommended quiet a few times on LOC, TN is not too cold for 10w in the winter, isn't it?

Thanks folks. I will take it in tomorrow afternoon. I may also get them to go ahead and change the differential fluid as well if they will do it.

WANDA- you are right- winters not all that cold here in Tennessee. Northeast Tennessee is basically the same climate as northeast Georgia. The states do border each other, so basically the same type climate witin at least a 200 mile radius of the state lines.

CW please! (not wanda like a gal) ;) ..

even u want to take it to dealer, u still can bring mobile1 full-syn (one the best stuff out there!) with u. dealer won't have problem to put in ur own oil, they will just charge u reasonable labor plus free car wash and free coffee :D ....

CW please! (not wanda like a gal) ;) ..

even u want to take it to dealer, u still can bring mobile1 full-syn (one the best stuff out there!) with u. dealer won't have problem to put in ur own oil, they will just charge u reasonable labor plus free car wash and free coffee :D ....

I doubt it about the free car wash. When I took my car to the Lexus dealer for the last oil change they did not offer any car wash, but it may have been raining that day... :unsure: For $39. they should have done something else to it. :D I am taking it to the Toyota dealer this time, so I do not know if they wash cars or not.

About the synthetic oils- is it true that once you start using it, you have to keep using it? I may try it next time, as I do not have time tomorrow to go down to Sam's Club for the oil. Thanks again.

I've been to atlanta dealer twice recently,

got my 97 LS4 inspected right after I bought it

got the new key with transponder programmed

despite that they were not really true 'services', I received free car wash both time.

regarding syn. oil:

http://www.mobil1.com/why/myths.jsp

it should be safe to go back and forth between syn. and conventional

Well, since it has been literally POURING heavy rain all day, they obviously did not wash the car. :P I did get some concerning news however. The lady at the service desk came into the waiting room, with the drain plug and said it was stripped, due to it being over tightened over the past few oil changes. :( She said it would be OK this time, but next time, the tech recommends that a new plug be installed and a gasket installed. I told her OK. She came back later with my key and receipt and said the tech went ahead and installed the new plug and gasket, as he was afraid that the other one was too loose. As far as I know, most of the changes have been completed at a Toyota/Lexus dealer, but I guess one of those places that the previous owner took it to are the culprits. I just hope that it does not decide to start leaking anytime soon. :unsure: She said it holds 7 quarts of oil, so that was an additional charge. In all, including the plug, gasket, oil and labor, it was just over $34.00.

torgue for drain plug should be 29 ft-lb. specify that on work order next time.

I am surprised about the 7qt. according to shop repair maunal:

oil capcity is:

5.4qt with filter change

5.1qt without filter change

6.7qt dry fill

so, did they do a 'dry fill'? why?

I do recall the last few oil change I had were 5.5qt...hmmmm!