Checkengine Light/exhaust Problems

Recently my check engine light-signal came on in the dash of my 96ES300..this is the 2nd time it has been on in 3 years...last time it was on, i took it in (my car was under warranty at the time) and LEXUS fixed it...but i think since my car is not under warranty anymore, this might be an expensive fix..does anyone have any advice on this? and it cant be the oil, my oil is very clean, and i recently even had it serviced...

on another note

this morning, as i cranked my car up...smoke came out heavily out the exhaust pipes in the rear..this problem only happened on the initial startup..does anyone know how to fix that problem?

thanks

Recently my check engine light-signal came on in the dash of my 96ES300..this is the 2nd time it has been on in 3 years...last time it was on, i took it in (my car was under warranty at the time) and LEXUS fixed it...but i think since my car is not under warranty anymore, this might be an expensive fix..does anyone have any advice on this? and it cant be the oil, my oil is very clean, and i recently even had it serviced...

on another note

this morning, as i cranked my car up...smoke came out heavily out the exhaust pipes in the rear..this problem only happened on the initial startup..does anyone know how to fix that problem?

thanks

You need to use an OBDII scanner in order to read what cause the check engine light on. It won't take more than 20 second to read it, if you don't have a scanner you need to borrow one or pay someone (small shop) just read it, then you go from there. If it is oxigen sensor there is 2 bank/sensor make sure which one, it could be also bad EGR valve and etz.......but still you need scanner to read the problems, don't guess it could cost you more money. It depend where you live Autozone has the OBDII scanner and they usually let you use it to see what is the problem.