Question

What’s up guys, I have a problem with my 92' sc300 w/150,000 miles. The other

day I was sitting at a light when I noticed my engine started to feel as if it was

misfiring. Once I was home, I removed the first two plugs in front of the motor

and noticed that they were covered in something that felt and smelled like motor

oil but felt a little to thick to be oil. I called a friend up and he informed me that

this had occurred to his ford right before the motor blew. The last thing I need is

the motor blowing. So if anyone has ever had this problem or if someone can

educate me on it a little; any feedback will be appreciated.

Thank you

Brian Carvalho

I get on her ever once and awhile nothing to crazy, no redline or going over

100mph. I haven't checked all of the plugs yet but will do so first thing tomorrow

Morning(with my luck AWj, all plugs probably will have oil on them). I bought the

car w/90,000miles on it and basically gave it a major tune up (plugs, wires, cap,

rotor, all belts, filters, etc.) Most, if not all the parts were not from the dealer but

were OEM specified. How do i check my PCV system?She never overheated on

me.Never ran a compression test. After I check the plugs tomorrow I’ll take a ride

over to the dealer an buy some plugs and wires, and make an appointment to

have a compression test done. Thanks again guys for your input, if anybody

thinks of anything else please post it.

Thank You

Brian Carvalho

I don't think you have a major problem. There is an easy way to check your pcv valves but they are so cheap you should just replace them. Make sure all your vacuum lines are hooked up correctly. Could just be some oil got somewhere it shouldn't like SK said. If you are not overheating and the oil is not milky, it's most likely just a fluke. I'd just replace the plugs and clean up the are real good. Replace the pcv's (2 of 'em) and make sure the tubes are clean, (they are at the back of your head, one runs to the intake box from the passenger side valve cover and the other runs to just before the intake plenum on driver side valve cover). You can get cheap cross reference pcv valves at all major supply centers. They are simple check valves.

What's guys I just came back from the dealership, I bought everything except for

the PCV valves and wires, which was special ordered. Had some trouble AWJ; The

parts guy at the dealership insisted that the car came equipped with only one PCV

valve (the one that comes from the head) I asked him then to explain the other

one he just stated that that was an air port or something like that. After I

explained to him a very reliable source had told me that there were two. He

looked at me weird, ran to the computer and printed out a picture. He

started to explain again that it was just an airport, at this point he was acting liking

a real !Removed!, so I gave up and told I would be back for the rest of the parts on

Wednesday. Anyway... Thanks again guys for the information, as soon as I install

the parts I will post my results. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again guys,

Brian Carvalho

Hey - your guy is right. I took a picture. but u'll have to use your imagination. Driver side valve cover - oil cap strait back - pcv valve location. Pass side valve cover strait back - the 90* piece -- straight though no check. Don't ask how I checked. Pretend the rest of your motor is there.

covers.sized.jpg

Your effort is outstanding AWJ, Thanks for clarifying the PCV valve problem.

Thanks again man you guys are the greatest, I’ll let you know how I make out

with the car,

Thanks again,

Brian Carvalho

What's up guys replaced everything as mentioned up above. I followed directions

on How to change plugs on clublexus.com. After everything was done I hop in the

car, start her up, she jumps up to 2RPM then completely dies out what the hell did

I do wrong, hopefully this is going to be an easy-fix.

Any suggestions would be very helpful at this point.

Thank you,

Brian Carvalho

Same thing it shoots up till 2,000 RPMs then dies out. Could this have something

to do with my TPS sensor?

I remember you mentioning Rockers, How do i check those, Big bucks to fix?

I did find oil on all Six plugs :(

Thank You,

Brian Carvalho

How do I check the coils? Yes, it does smell rich.

I also was messing around with the TPS sensor by adjusting clockwise and

counterclockwise. I got the idle to a point where she stays running but jumps from

normal idle to 2,000RPMs. I try tapping on the gas pedal then it jumps to

5,000RPMs and slowly goes back down. Is there something wrong with my TB?

Can I adjust it to run normal again? Thanks again guys.

Thank you,

Brian Carvalho

About the idle and throttle position sensor, what method did you use to adjust it? Do you have the factory service manuals? How did the butterfly look when you had it off?

As far as the oil is concerned - was it on the outside of the plug, above the threads? Or on the electrode side, inside the cylinder?

Do you know how to run a diagnostics check? You may check your coil - not sure what maintenance you have had at this point. At 150k you are approaching a major interval. There are lots of possiblilities here. For 1, if you have the original oxygen sensors - replace them all now. Even if they are not throwing code. You probably stand to replace all vacuum lines. I'm sure your air filter has been serviced but if not, do that too. Could be an air metering issue too or a combination of any of these.

What does your oil and antifreeze look like? Has the car overheated ever?

On the TPS I loosened top and bottom screw and adjusted counterclockwise and

clockwise. I do have the service manuals, and the butterfly was pretty filthy when

I pulled the off the TB. The oil was found on the electrode side of the spark plug.

I do not know how to run a diagnostics check. Basically everything has been

replaced except for the O2 sensors (How many are there?) and vacuums lines.

Air filter is K&N drop in replaced about 10,000 miles ago. As far as the oil, it stays

golden until about 2,500 miles into it. Antifreeze is light greenish color. Car did

show symptoms of overheating once but it was because it was low in coolant.

Sounds like I’m going to have to turn this over to a professional AWJ. As you said

this is a major interval for this vehicle anything internal is going to be a little out of

my league. If you guys know what this is drop me a post. Any other suggestions

would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Brian Carvalho

Are you sure there is no antifreeze in your oil (chocolate milky) or oil in your antifreeze? I think a compression check is in order. If you had no idle problem before adjusting the tps, then you will need to readjust it. It is possible the seals on one or both of the valve covers is just old and wore out. You can replace those too or try to tighten them up a little. Be carefull though. Too tight and you might break something in the plastic areas. There are 3 oxygen sensors on your car I think. Two in the exhaust manifold banks and one after the merge. If you have the manuals there is a procedure listed on how to run diagnostic check. Give that a shot. You can always take it to a good independant mechanic and have them run a compression test. If compression is good - see your manual - you have nothing to worry about. Just find where the oil is coming from and correct the idle issue.

Definitely sure that there is no water in the oil or oil in the antifreeze, I checked

yesterday just to make sure. Thank you for your reassurance and your endless effort to

help identify the issue AWJ. I would like to extend the Thank you to any one and

everyone who has posted here. Thanks guys and I will post as soon as I hear back from

my mechanic.

Thank You,

Brian Carvalho

!!!UPDATE!!!

What's up guys, seems my oil on plugs was coming from a busted valve cover gasket.

My idle was adjusted on the TPS just right, So all is well now.

Has anyone ever experienced the same problem?

I want to personally thank AWJ for his endless efforts as well as jzz30, skperformance,

and monarch.

Thank Again Guys,

Brian Carvalho