End Of An Era.

acf

What do you guys think about buying cars on eBay? Anyone done it? Not kicking the tires is pretty scary if its accross the country. I assume you'd have to get a local mechanic to check out the car and obviously CARFAX it first. :unsure:

What do you guys think about buying cars on eBay?  Anyone done it?  Not kicking the tires is pretty scary if its accross the country.  I assume you'd have to get a local mechanic to check out the car and obviously CARFAX it first. :unsure:

acf,

I bought total of 4 cars in last 10-months from eBay, including 3 lex (94 LS4, 96 SC4, 97 LS4), and 4th one was for a relative. they all turned out to be rather nice except some minor issues (used cars rarely are 100% perfect).

1. seller feedback record is the paramount concern! do make sure u read them; email buyers who left neg. feedback for details.

2. CARFAX! CARFAX! CARFAX!

3. have seller email/fax u the vehicle maintenance records or major repair receipts (such as TB changes, major tune-up's...etc)

4. don't forget to figure in transportation cost, and the so called 'documentation or administration fee' (junk fee! sometime it can be $500!)

5. buy vehicle located in southern states (TX, FL..etc); never buy one from 'cold' states

6. call/email seller for your concerns and detail questions; judging from the degree of courtesy, professionalism, promptness, u can get a general ideal whether seller is trustworthy or not. never buy one from seller who doesn't return call or email promptly.

7. for some newer model years under 100K, eBay offers 1-month 1000miles warranty covering major situations.

my 98 ES3 was bought locally about 1-year ago for Mom. we did have it checked out at dealer b4 pruchase. but it turns out to be the worst lex purchase we had so far. a year later, the blue smoke (oil burning) issue has progressed to a degree that it may need the expensive repairs for valve stem/head gasket/piston rings, or I may opt for swapping engine. so, 'kick the tires' or having it checked up beforehand won't gurrantee anything! incidently, the ES3 was from Boston!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...2482142243&rd=1

Any comments on this one? Also, is the maint. schedule on the Toyota's about the same as the lexus'? Timing belt at 90k, etc.?

this seller has 100% + feedback record. do call or email for upkeep records and see how fast he/she responses.

I heard this from my service rep at dealer: starting from 97 model year, lex recommend TB/water pump replacement at 120K or 7-year for LS4. not at 90K as we all believe.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...2482142243&rd=1

Any comments on this one?  Also, is the maint. schedule on the Toyota's about the same as the lexus'?  Timing belt at 90k, etc.?

I heard this from my service rep at dealer: starting from 97 model year, lex recommend TB/water pump replacement at 120K or 7-year for LS4. not at 90K as we all believe.....

That's interesting but our 97's are at 7 years anyway so... :(

Here's an LC in my area that looks really good. I just can't get over the vast difference b/w Edmunds ($17,700) and KBB's ($12,300) private party values. :o There's got to be more to it...but I sure know which one I'm taking with me if/when I go see it. :whistles:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...lor=&cardist=53

Wow, lots of great feedback! :cheers:

Just got back from a little car shopping and we are now also realizing that the CRV and Rav4 are too small and we actaully would be better off with the LS cargo wise.

The wife is leaning towards a Ford Expedition.

Face it. You need a mini-van. Skip the small SUVs. Not enough room. Skip the luxury SUVs. A waste of money. You want maximum practicality and utility and that is a mini-van. You need room to carry stuff. You need room to move around in the car. We have 3 kids. Trust me, you need room and you need a car that does NOT handle like a truck. You'll be driving a lot more to the market, COSTCO, Chuck Cheese, to soccer games, carrying Grandpa and Grandma and the in-laws, and hockey sticks and cleats, etc. The Lexus will serve for a while but sooner or later you'll need the mini-van. No shame in driving a mini-van. They make your life much easier.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 MBZ 300CE

1993 Villager

That's interesting but our 97's are at 7 years anyway so... :(

the service rep did say milleage is lot more critical than 'year in use'..... having said that, my newly acquired 97 does a sticker indicates TB change at 91K.

anyway, if ur buyer state the concern about TB, u can just reply with 120K answer. as u know, TB replacement is a $1200 job at dealer...

i'm not sure how u overcome the discrepancy in appraisals, but if u were buying from eBay, u don't really want to pay more than 90% of KBB private party value. all 4 i bought from ebay were 80~90% of KBB value.

good luck to u!

Wow, lots of great feedback!  :cheers:

Just got back from a little car shopping and we are now also realizing that the CRV and Rav4 are too small and we actaully would be better off with the LS cargo wise.

The wife is leaning towards a Ford Expedition.

Face it. You need a mini-van. Skip the small SUVs. Not enough room. Skip the luxury SUVs. A waste of money. You want maximum practicality and utility and that is a mini-van. You need room to carry stuff. You need room to move around in the car. We have 3 kids. Trust me, you need room and you need a car that does NOT handle like a truck. You'll be driving a lot more to the market, COSTCO, Chuck Cheese, to soccer games, carrying Grandpa and Grandma and the in-laws, and hockey sticks and cleats, etc. The Lexus will serve for a while but sooner or later you'll need the mini-van. No shame in driving a mini-van. They make your life much easier.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 MBZ 300CE

1993 Villager

Good points, and we've looked at a few but decided to pass at this time. :)

2. CARFAX! CARFAX! CARFAX!

I wouldn't put a whole lot of credibility into CarFax. For example, my cousin backed his F150 right into the front of my mom's Cobra causing a mere $3k of damage. The funniest part is Carfax has no idea of the existance this accident as we settled w/o insurance! My cousin paid for the repairs from his own pocket, and that was the end of the whole ordeal. The best way to detect changed body panels(wrecks) is to look for the VIN stickers. Most auto makers put VIN stickers on the body panels to show that they are the origionals. If you see them, it's a good sign, and if not, keep looking.

ACF, The Land Cruiser looks really nice, but the monster truck wheels would have to go! ;) lol Furthermore, I can't help but wonder why the LS too small for you, your wife, son, and future child? One could easily stack a couple of strollers in the trunk along with some baby bags and other luggage. Just my $.02, but I'd keep the LS, and if you truely feel that the space is insufficient for long trips, rent a suv or van that better suits your needs for the road trip. Since it sounds like you really want out of the car payment, I'd dump the LS for a Expedition, Explorer, or 4Runner.

Everyone likes to bash Fords, huh? Why's that?? Sure, they rattle and some pieces feel cheap, but both of my Lexi-LS(230k) & ES(115k)- rattle too, and that sould be a federal offense for the class of car these are in(ok, we'll exclude the LS...lol). lol A $30k Expedition can in no way be compared to a $55k+ LS like some are using for quality comparison; it's just not the case. The point is, ALL cars are going to have problems, and ALL cars will experience mechanical failure at one point or another. It seems like anytime us Lex owners have a problem-burnt LCD's, suspension bushings, engine/tranny mounts, power steering pumps, dead needles, lower ball joints, crazy tilt/tele wheel motors, antenna mast and the list continues-, it's ok because it's a problem that everyone has, or it's deemed as a "maintinance item." Believe it or not, Toyotas/Lexi are not bullet proof. Buy the car that YOU like and feel comfortable with, not what this group of Lexus loyalist is telling you. ;) Don't worry, I'm not a hypocrite, so I'm guilty as charged with loving the Lexi and doing all of the above!!! :)

Glenmore brings a very interesting point to the post! The dreaded Mini Van! IMO, most don't want to drive the Mini Van because of the image they project, but how is that(mini van) image worse than being seen in some wussy, 4 banger, spec sized mini SUV??(Please, no offense mini ute owners!) Here's a prime example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...2482029962&rd=1 . '00 Oddessy EX, power doors, traction control, auto climate, satelite navi system, and that awesome disappearing 3rd row for $13.5k.

Best of luck with your decision ACF...ha-humm, cough... keep the LS!!!! :D

:cheers:

Your Lexus might have some rattles but its got 230k miles! And from the condition it was in it didn't have the easiest life... Thats actually odd because my dad's 98 didn't have one rattle at 150k when he traded it...

My Explorer rattles so bad the radio won't even drown it out...

That 97 40th Ed. LC is sharp! Looks to be in great condition too. I also agree that Minivans are best in practicality but used minivans can be just plain scary abused...

That LC is going to give you a nice ride and be reliable and it looks to have been very well cared for...

Your Lexus might have some rattles, but its got 230k miles! And from the condition it was in it didn't have the easiest life... Thats actually odd because my dad's 98 didn't have one rattle at 150k when he traded it...

I knew someone would say that, so that's why I excluded it...see parenthesis! Yeah, the interior was neglected, but the previous owner must have done something right with the mechanicals of the car because she runs like a top! :D However, my ES that has 115k of city driving has trim pieces inside that rattle and annoy the hell out of me. :wacko:

BTW, didn't you already have warranty work done on your '03 ES in the back door to eliminate a rattle??? :rolleyes: All that I'm saying is that problems on foreign cars are somehow accepted more than problems on US cars. Maybe it's just me that sees this...I dunno! :chairshot:

Yeah they fixed the rear door under warranty. The difference is Lexus cared enough to address the problem and fix it. You have a rattle on a Ford and tell the dealer they say "Cars just rattle, nothing we can do about it". Lexus has a way to eliminate every type of rattle, if they don't then they have a team design a way for you. Thats a lot of the difference also, willingness to stand behind their product. I love my Explorer, I love the way it looks but a reliable or well built vehicle it is not. For something that cost $40,000 new, I wouldn't buy another one. It was nice until 60k when the extended warranty ran out, its cost me $4000 a year since then.

Another thing you've got to differentiate between is city cars and highway cars. City cars, whoever makes them, will start to rattle first as the wear on them is higher (stress caused by starts and stops, potholes, curb bumps etc). Thats why they say every city mile is worth 10 highway miles. Your LS is a highway car, the ES is a city car.

Have you gotten the PC yet? I have got to show you pictures of what a detailer was able to do on a black LS that was as neglected as yours with just a PC. He thought he was going to have to paint it, but it looks brand new now. Its amazing...

Have you gotten the PC yet? I have got to show you pictures of what a detailer was able to do on a black LS that was as neglected as yours with just a PC. He thought he was going to have to paint it, but it looks brand new now. Its amazing...

Sheesh, $40k for an Explorer!

If you wouldn't mind, could you email me those black LS pics? I'm going to order the PC either today or tomorrow...probably tom. since I have to go somewhere in a second.