Moving to Boise Idaho, should I sell?

Hello Everyone,

Own a 2022 ES300H which we love. We are excited to be moving to Boise and are wondering if we should consider selling our ES for an AWD vehicle. 

Does anyone have any experience or a recommendation? 

-George 

55 minutes ago, George B22 said:

Hello Everyone,

Own a 2022 ES300H which we love. We are excited to be moving to Boise and are wondering if we should consider selling our ES for an AWD vehicle. 

Does anyone have any experience or a recommendation? 

-George 

If you don’t own an AWD vehicle, then I would recommend it. I’m sold on AWD, even on dry pavement. We live in North AR, and I wouldn’t be without it.

You might consider an ES250 AWD, but you would be going from a V6 to a 4 cylinder.

If you plan to drive on 8 inches of snow and on steep hills, then yes, AWD will come in handy. Otherwise, snow tires and front wheel drive will do just fine under the vast majority of conditions. My sister in Connecticut has the same car you do, and she has driven front wheel drive Mazdas for 20+ years without any problems.

Hi ya, Dave n George: Tundra 4 x 4 Perfect.  Low clearance ES200h not so much.  With all the unusual sound proof paneling you have under the ES, you will wanna check with the dealer up there for advice. Salty slush and frozen slush are stuff you do not want banging around under there after slush freezes.

If you are truly a two vehicle family and need both, you have to consider all the various driving conditions you will have to deal with.

Snow tires would definitely be a must. I know all about that stuff, as I drove in it for 3 years and then discovered that I was 18 and was free to get out of Nebraska forever.  I used to measure the snow depth. If it was deeper than the clearance on the ole Ford, I wouldn't go.  Those who diid go had a heck of a time.  Then there are drifts that fill in after the grader goes thru.  The grill on your ES may be able to doze thru some of those drifts.  I don't know.  You'll also want to keep it out of ECO mode in sub freezing temp because the engine is not running longe enough to keep in the heat.  Maybe the computer does that for you.  

We would really like to hear from you George after you get settled up there in Big Sky country. 

When I was living in Connecticut, I had two vehicles - a sportscar and a 1975 Monte Carlo which was rear wheel-drive. During the day or days after a massive blizzard, I did not go to school or later, work. No school or company would expect students or employees to drive on roads that were not plowed.

It looks like you can use the Tundra for such days. That makes things all the easier to decide.