Hi, 

I have a ES 330 - 2005 - Lots of Miles!!!!: ) 

Still runs strong, but I have a locked passenger door. 

The actuator or locking mech has a rapid "clicking" noise when I try to Unlock the door with the key fob and the unlock on the door itself. 

Tries: 

#1 - Door is closed and cannot remove paneling???  Don't know how to get to the door's interior parts. 

#2 - Can barely see when window is down and trying to pry open the door between window and see what I can see.  ( I have not tried to use any coat hanger or jimmy stick)

#3 - I have called 5 locksmiths in my area and nobody can find a way or won't even come out to see if they can open it. 

Any suggestions?  Any help or additions to what I have tried.  Please let me know.  

Thanks. 

jacertheracer,

The lock actuator (really a small motor that turns some gears to move the lock lever) has jammed for some reason. The only way to fix it is to remove the inner door panel and remove it from the door locking mechanism. Then either take the lock actuator apart and try to fix the jam, or just replace the lock actuator.

I have done several of these over the years and would tackle this in a heartbeat. But you have a couple of things going against you.

The first is that the door must get open to remove the inner door panel, and Lexus has constructed their door lock mechanisms to prevent thieves using a jack bar to quickly get in. A GOOD locksmith MAY be able to get the door open, but they will have problems unless they have the tech manuals for your car.

The second is that removing and opening up the old lock actuator takes some mechanical aptitude, someone used to taking small things apart, figuring out what went wrong, and then fixing the problem and putting it back together. If you're not that person, don't even think about it.

A new actuator will cost you BUCKS ($200 plus, just a guess) because it's a Lexus. A better solution is a used one from eBay or a wrecking yard. A quick look at eBay shows that used ones are going for $80 US and up.

And then, the problem may not be the lock actuator, but a bent rod from it to the lock mechanism, or the lock mechanism is jammed and needs replacing. You just don't always know what you'll find until you actually get in there.

And I'd guess that the dealership will want  $500 or so to do the job. You have some research and decisions to make. Good Luck!

Thanks for the input gbhrps .... :I really appreciate that info. 

However, I haven't found a lock smith yet that is thinking they can even get the door open.  I am at the point where I go to a junk yard...find another similar int door paneling and buy it.  Then cut a hole in the damn door to get to the actuator....  What do you think?  

I am mechanical inclined and work on lots of intricate small pieces... whether I have the correct tools is a question.  

I read a piece where I guy said to break the window and then try to get to the actuator that way....?? Sounds to $$$ to try that route.  What the hell would Lexus do? 

FUBAR Frustrated !

jacertheracer

jacertheracer,

This is going to be awkward to do from the passenger seat, but not impossible.

First off, you live in California, so there will lots of this generation ES330 in wrecking yards, and I suggest you start looking for one with the same colour interior. You may have to destroy part of your existing door panel in the process, so you'll need a used one in good shape.

Here are the door panel removal instructions for an 05 ES330 (same as yours) I copied from another site:

This isn't as difficult as it sounds, and best of all, there's not much grease involved. It helps to get a body molding tool at harbor freight for a few bucks, but in a pinch you can use a screwdriver w/ tape on the end. I can tell you from experience though, the molding tool will not break nearly as many plastic pieces as the screwdriver, and works a lot better on push pins. Buy the tool first, you can always open the door by dropping the window.

First remove the door latch bezel. This is the plastic cup behind the door latch. Pry out this piece, pushing it rearward and lifting the tongue/latch after it's loose to pull the bezel forward and off. It's easy to break the clips on this piece (mine was already busted and glued in w/ some silicone). Next remove the piece of gray fabric deep in the armrest hand grab, remove screw. Pry off a plastic cap in the concave area of the the front of the door panel and remove the screw under it. There are two push pin clips on the back vertical edge of the panel -- push in the center w/ a pen or similar pointed instrument, then pry up the cap. The panel is now almost ready to remove, but first you should go along the bottom edge and pry the panel up, noticing a pop every time you losen one of the 4 clips. Now just lift from the bottom edge, the top should move off the door frame lip fairly easily. There'll be several connectors, one for the courtesy light, two for the door and window switches, then the panel is free. Peel off the plastic from the top and discover what lever is disconnected from what. Fix that and reassemble. It's a little tricky getting the top edge hooked back on but w/ some consideration you'll see how it's supposed to go.

Note that with the door closed, some of the door panel is in behind the door opening frame of the car, so it is inevitable that some of the panel will be destroyed when you force/cut it off. I know that it'll cost a whole lot less to replace the inner door panel then the entire door. When you get your used panel, make sure to get the pin fasteners as well, and you can decide whether to use your switches or the ones from the used panel.

I would really talk to the head service tech at a Lexus dealership first, to see if they have a sure fired way to open the door, and get a quote. On an 11 year old car that quote and their method of attack will tell you whether you let them do the job or you go the DIY route and save a lot of bucks. I feel your pain! Good Luck!