Anyone Able To Figure Out Month Of Manufacture With Vin?

beachlover

Because one needs to know the month when replacing the rear axle assembly. Apparently there was a switch in the part mid-year. I've tried a few VIN decoders, but month doesn't show, yet supposedly that info is in the VIN. BTW decodethis website was best I found.

Here's my VIN, if anyone can help.

JT6HF10U7Y01067xx (I didn't post the last two digits, as posting a complete VIN is probably a bad idea)

Why don't you look on door jam, it has date of manufactured.

That was a good idea. So I know the answer, crisis averted. Owe you one.

I'm curious however, if anyone could do it through the VIN as isn't it supposed to contain that info? If someone actually posts the month, I will be impressed.

I can assure you that a 17 character VIN does not contain the month of manufacture. I retired from 31 years in the insurance industry and know that a VIN often does not contain enough information to charge appropriate policy premiums for a vehicle. Wikipedia has a page that describes the information a VIN contains.

I can assure you that a 17 character VIN does not contain the month of manufacture. I retired from 31 years in the insurance industry and know that a VIN often does not contain enough information to charge appropriate policy premiums for a vehicle. Wikipedia has a page that describes the information a VIN contains.

If you say so. This link is why I thought it might....

www.team-bhp.com/advice/find-your-cars-date-manufacture-vin

Furthermore, since I believe the last digits represent the vehicle in sequential order, there probably is info, somewhere, as to which numbers started and ended for the month. Granted, maybe only Lexus knows.

But if members posted VINs and months, we could make approximations ourselves, couldn't we.

I'll start, for the benefit of others that might not still have the original door sticker. Mines Dec 1999

If you say so. This link is why I thought it might....

www.team-bhp.com/advice/find-your-cars-date-manufacture-vin

Furthermore, since I believe the last digits represent the vehicle in sequential order, there probably is info, somewhere, as to which numbers started and ended for the month. Granted, maybe only Lexus knows.

But if members posted VINs and months, we could make approximations ourselves, couldn't we.

I'll start, for the benefit of others that might not still have the original door sticker. Mines Dec 1999

The link you posted is nonsense - there are no 19th and 20th position in a VIN containing the month of manufacture since the VIN format used since 1981 is only 17 characters. Prior to that the VIN was usually only 10 characters and it was a free-for-all on what it contained.

Well into the 1980's we found that 17 position format VIN's on vehicle placards were sometimes miscoded and could not pass the check digit calculation. We even had vehicle owners send us photos of their VIN placards to prove that their invalid VIN's were what they said they were.

You can't depend on taking a 10 or 17 character VIN for an older vehicle to an auto dealer to look up the records for the vehicle to determine how it was originally equipped. Record keeping is often sloppy or non-existent.

• 2 weeks later...