59 replies to this topic

#16 monarch

monarch

Guru Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts
  • Model: LS 400

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:27 AM

The 6 month, 5,000 mile service interval is the recommended MINIMUM allowable service interval required to keep the powertrain warranty in effect. It's an adequate interval to follow for owners who plan to sell / trade by the time the 6 year / 70,000 mile powertrain warranty expires.

However, owners who desire a troublefree Lexus for alot more years and miles should change the oil even more frequently.

Lots of first time Toyota / Lexus owners have unrealistic expectations. They expect a Toyota / Lexus to be troublefree for many years even if they do not keep up with the recommended MINIMUM allowable service intervals. These owners risk setting themselves up for a big dissappointment.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 doc777

doc777

New Club Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Model: RX330

Posted 18 August 2005 - 06:13 PM

Great DIY set of instructions! I followed them step by step, and easily changed the oil. Thanks so much for posting such a comprehensive "manual," which made it so easy to help maintain my "magic transportation pod."

#18 Dave_02RX300

Dave_02RX300

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Model: RX300

Posted 10 November 2005 - 07:33 PM

Sorry to bug you all - after 20min of searching - is there a similar post for the 2002 RX300? Thanks -Dave

#19 Grumpa72

Grumpa72

Advanced Club Member

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Model: rx330

Posted 06 December 2005 - 12:01 PM

:cheers:

Good job with the photos and stuff.

Has anyone figured out to clear the "service engine" light that comes on to remind you to change the oil? Mine is on and is annoying. This is not the check engine light that tells you the trouble codes.

Gary
'05 33

#20 docfnky

docfnky

New Club Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Model: rx330

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:15 PM

:cheers:

Good job with the photos and stuff.

Has anyone figured out to clear the "service engine" light that comes on to remind you to change the oil? Mine is on and is annoying. This is not the check engine light that tells you the trouble codes.

Gary
'05 33

To reset that light, take your keys out of the ignition, push down on the button that select between odometer and trip meter on the dashboard. while the button is still held down, put the key in the ignition and turn it to on (do not start the car). after that maintenance light turn off, you can let go of the button.

#21 chimchim

chimchim

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
Contributor

Posted 01 July 2006 - 10:44 PM

bumpity because I'm using my own DIY.

#22 steviej

steviej

Guru Member

• Management Team
  • 5,001 posts
  • Model: 2006 GS300 AWD

Posted 02 July 2006 - 07:26 PM

moved to tutorial section for safe keeping.

steviej

#23 Kutten

Kutten

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 12:32 PM

This is an awesome DIY.. I should say, it's better than having a Lexus oil change manual.

#24 chimchim

chimchim

Club Member

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
Contributor

Posted 01 January 2007 - 05:08 PM

Bump because I'm using my own DIY as a reference.

#25 Jhall143

Jhall143

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Model: RX300

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:19 AM

Just what I was looking for...and with pictures? Wow. Thank you very much.

Jim --

#26 RX 330 Owner

RX 330 Owner

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Model: RX 330

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:27 AM

How close are these instructions/photos to a 2005 RX330? ?

#27 ljpond

ljpond

New Club Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Model: LX330

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:23 AM

Wanted to add my thanks for your taking the trouble to post a detailed set of instructions with pictures. Recently purchased a 2004 and after getting the first service done for free, it was time to DIY. I did note the following:

1) the ground clearance was sufficient that I did not have to raise the vehicle.

2) while I did follow the instructions exactly, it is possible to access and remove the filter from above if you have the correct size end cap oil filter wrench for your socket set. I didn't but will get one for next time. Has anyone else done this and have any comment? I can't recommend this way yet since it might be necessary to remove the panel anyway to clean up oil that drips when you remove the filter. In a few thousand miles I will let you know if this was a good or bad idea.

Again, Thanks.

#28 randylindsay

randylindsay

New Club Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Model: LS400, RX330

Posted 05 January 2008 - 01:06 PM

10) With the panel off, you can now see the oil filter (orange) and a nice gift from the Lexus engineers: an oil catch (green). Loosen the filter, and residual oil will drip out. The oil catch will guide the dripping oil out the oilpan/drainplug panel so position your oil catch below the catch.

Posted Image

11) On the new filter, dab a layer of fresh oil on the O-ring (the rubber ring around the outer lip of the open end of the filter). Align the threads of the new filter and spin it by hand onto the engine where the old filter was. When it makes contact, tighten by hand another 3/4 turn. Don't over tighten.

12) Wipe up oil drips. For me, even though the catch was there, some oil still dripped all over the exhaust pipe and panels. Wipe this up.

13) Fill the engine with 5w-30 oil, 5 qts. A funnel is helpful here.

Posted Image

14) Replace oil cap.

15) Replace both plastic panels.

16) Shut hood and drive around the block. Park the car on level ground and wait 15 minutes. Check for leaks and oil level.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

Thanks for an excellent post!

#29 mo.miner

mo.miner

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Model: 2004 RX330

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:14 PM

10) With the panel off, you can now see the oil filter (orange) and a nice gift from the Lexus engineers: an oil catch (green). Loosen the filter, and residual oil will drip out. The oil catch will guide the dripping oil out the oilpan/drainplug panel so position your oil catch below the catch.

Posted Image

11) On the new filter, dab a layer of fresh oil on the O-ring (the rubber ring around the outer lip of the open end of the filter). Align the threads of the new filter and spin it by hand onto the engine where the old filter was. When it makes contact, tighten by hand another 3/4 turn. Don't over tighten.

12) Wipe up oil drips. For me, even though the catch was there, some oil still dripped all over the exhaust pipe and panels. Wipe this up.

13) Fill the engine with 5w-30 oil, 5 qts. A funnel is helpful here.

Posted Image

14) Replace oil cap.

15) Replace both plastic panels.

16) Shut hood and drive around the block. Park the car on level ground and wait 15 minutes. Check for leaks and oil level.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

#30 mo.miner

mo.miner

New Club Member

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Model: 2004 RX330

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:30 PM

Great post...just exactly what I was looking for.

I did take off the wrong panel under the engine and should have taken off the smaller panel in front of the engine.

I would suggest that when re-installing that front engine panel, you should install the two forward bolts first which will help line up the other panel holes and makes it easier at least on my 2004 RX330. Mine wouldnt line up installing the bolts on the rear of the panel first. I wasnt really sure where the two sheet metal screws went as compared to the bolts. I put the screws on the very outside edge of this panel near the headlights.

What surprised me the most was the color of the engine oil when I drained it after 5,000 miles. It didnt appear that dirty on the dipstick but came out pretty dark in the catch pan.

I would have never found the oil filter without this posting. Even the owners manual didnt show it on the front side of the engine.

Keep up the great work with even greater photos.

MoMiner

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have