91 Ls400 Speaker Problem

91ls400

I just got this 91 ls400 with the Nakamichi Sound System. The rear speakers haven't worked for some time, the front speakers and the sub had been working. This morning the front passenger side speaker didnt work at all either. The smaller speaker higher on the door still works but the larger doesn't do anything. I now have one speaker and the sub, an odd expirience. Does anyone know how to get the door pannel off to see the speaker. Has anyone else had this problem?? Lastly, if I took it to get repaired how much would it cost for a replacement.

You can go to the site below. It provides pictures and clear instructions on how to remove your door panels to get to the speakers.

(front panels) http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalLexu...S400FDrPnlR.htm

(rear panels) http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalLexu...S400RDrPnlR.htm

I have a '93 with the Nakamichi system. Amazing sound... especially after finding out that 3 door speaker were not working. Should sound like a sound studio after I replace them.

There was previous post by pwqtang and Jim Walker(lost, I presume) on replacing the speakers. I hope they read this post and give us an idea what brand and model they found that works and fits.

:)

The site that the links point to suggest using an aftermarket 4" speaker to replace the speaker. When I take the door panel off, if I find that the speaker is beyond repair I would like to purchase a new one. Does anyone have suggestions for a pair of speakers that would fit in the panel?

I took the panel off today, easier than i thought it would be, there isn't anthing visually wrong with the speaker. I tried another speaker and it worked, so the speaker must be blown or somthing. I looked around at some speakers, the opening doesn't seem anything standard. I plan on just modifing the enclosure a little and installing a 4inch speaker. Does anyone have a suggestion for what type of speaker to install? I just want somthing that will work and sound ok.

I'm picking up 2 pairs of Polk GXR4 2-way coaxial speakers tomorrow.

You've already taken out your door panels so I'm guessing that you've already found some speakers and tried them out. If not, I'll let you know if these fit and work properly.

Michael

:)

• 3 weeks later...

I havent ever heard of toyota sized speakers. If you look at the link above on how to remove the front speakers it shows that a standard 4 inch speaker doesn't fit perfectly. I think they made a part out of cardboard to make it fit.

I just got around to installing the front speakers. I bought a pair of ts-g1047 speakers. They are the cheap 4 inch speakers that pioneer makes. I got them at the local best buy. I got this specific pair because they matched the continuous wattage rating of the Nakamichi stock speakers, 20 watt. Pioneer was also the Lexus oem for my 91 ls400.

The speakers fit in the little box and they even were able to be screwed into the existing screw holes with a little effort. They sound great, they don't require anymore power than the original Nakamichi either.

Anyone knows what is the RMS (continiues) AMP wattage on 91 lex ls ?

I have one non-working speaker in rear right panel and want replace all 4, but

RMS is what matters and 20W is not enough for me, but then again I don't know

what is peak and rms wattage on first gen amps ????

Also anyone noticed that original speakers can't handle 3/4 or more power on

radio/cd ? I would think 50w rms would do it, besides the more rms wattage the

cleaner and crisper it will sound. Other thing, those 11 yr old paper cones are

saturated with moisture, dust, dirt and sound is comprimised by it.

I am considering between these two

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-5SmFM...a=0&cc=01&avf=N

or

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-5SmFM...a=0&cc=01&avf=N

Sebastor,

Go for the JBL P432 for better frequency range and power handling. It's also better than the Polk GXR4 speakers that I installed and they already sound great!

Remember that the stock speakers are actually 4-1/2 inches so the holes on a 4 inch speaker is off by a few mm. This was my problem with the Polk GXR4. I had to open the holes so I can install all 4 screws properly (see attachment). You shouldn't have this problem with the JBL P432 since the holes are open.

Mike

post-4-1072420679.jpg

Thanks michaelsn for info and pics. That helped since

I didn't know what some ment by speakers don't fit...now i know,

it needs open holes.

Does anyone know what RMS wattage and peak wattage is on stock amp (91ls) ?

I believe it should say in Service Manual if anyone has one. I doubt there is any info on that

in owner's manual....also

Did anyone figure out what is the deal with those non-working speakers on your original post/problem ? Did it burned or cable broke ?

I have a similar speaker issue, but also need other general advice...

1- Anyone know a mechanic in or near Manhattan who does good work on Lexuses ?

2- Anyone know what to get to replace speakers and how to do it myself?

Just joined today (12 years too late). Got some specific issues with Maintenance especially in New York, NY. Need some advice on non-dealer repair options.

1991 LS400 79,000 miles. Garaged in Manhattan (therefore accumulating many nicks and scratches). The dealer is saying $600 each for three new speakers, plus $850 for Power steering pump (slight leak), $600 for Lower ball joints (worn), and $600 for rear axle boots. All this for a 1991 with 79,000 miles !!!

Would like to evaluate with non-dealer repairshop, and replace speakers myself. Any ideas ?? My dealer is telling me that both rear door speakers and the front right door speaker are "blown". However I have no reason to believe that they did anything but turn it on and "hear nothing". Don't trust this dealer as they told me to replace a 1991 transmission for $5200 and Aamco did a diagnostic and said the fluid was low ($150) !!!

Is it worth doing any further repairs of this thing or should I just sell? It actually runs as well as ever.

Help! ?

sebastor,

When I took the non-working speaker out there was nothing visually wrong with it, I plugged in another speaker with a similar ratings and it worked fine. I talked to a friend of mine, a car audio know it all, he said it was probably a broken or melted coil, whatever that means.

The Nakamichi Audio system is rated at 220 watts with a 10" subwoofer for the 90-92 LS400. The standard "Premium Audio System" is rated at 140 watts with a 8" bi-amplified subwoofer for the 90-92 LS400. Newer LS400 audio systems may have higher wattage starting with the '93 LS400.

• 1 month later...

I have a 91 Lexus LS400 and it has the regular audio system in it...Is there anyway possible for me to change it to the Nakamichi? If so, where can I find the equipment? Also, I want to get rid of the current keyless entry system...Would you recommend putting another Lexus security system in it or an aftermarket one? Any replies will be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas