Headlight Leveling Problem

Bigcat

The headlight leveling light in the dash is on. I have checked the actuators and the control ECU circuit resistance and all seems fine. The hedlights seem to work fine and initially move up when first turned on. Was wondering if there was a way to check the height control sensors to see if one of those is bad. Thanks in advance for any help.

The headlight leveling light in the dash is on. I have checked the actuators and the control ECU circuit resistance and all seems fine. The hedlights seem to work fine and initially move up when first turned on. Was wondering if there was a way to check the height control sensors to see if one of those is bad. Thanks in advance for any help.

Did you do some suspension work lately?

The car was hit in the front driver's side and also had damage to the rear wheel on the same side.

Since everything is working ok, maybe the warning light just needs to be reset. You could try disconnecting the negative (black) battery termial for about 20 minutes, then recconnect and start the car. Then see if the light goes out.

I've done that also. I believe that when it was hit the back sensor may have gotten damaged also. I had to replace the back strut and lower lateral arm . I belive it may have damaged this sensor, but didn't know if there was any way to check it.

I've done that also. I believe that when it was hit the back sensor may have gotten damaged also. I had to replace the back strut and lower lateral arm . I belive it may have damaged this sensor, but didn't know if there was any way to check it.

Ok now there's something to go on. Remember when I asked about suspension work?

This happens quite often when shocks or springs, etc are changed. If you look just in front of the rear beam, to the inside of the left rear wheel, you should see the autolevel link for the rear of the car. This is a two piece flat metal link. The angle between the two pieces should be obtuse, ie not a sharp or 90 degree angle.

Here are some pics that should explain.

f you lay on your back on the drivers side of the car and stick your head behind the rear tire looking under the car you will get this view. The arrow points to where you adjust the connection to the sensor. Its not hard to do, just park the car in front of a wall, turn your lights on, lay down and move the position of the connection bolt and you will see the lights move just a bit. A small bit of movement on the wall will be a big difference in the way the lights shine out so try small movements. I moved mine, drove up the street then came back moved it a little bit more and finally got it perfect again.

fromback.jpg

Here's the same connection to the sensor from in front of the wheel looking under.

fromfront.jpg

Basically you need to get the relationship of the arms to a postion similar to that in the pics, and then your autolevel light should go out.

Thanks so much for your help. This indeed may be the problem with the lights. I'll check it tomorrow and see. The person who owned it before me had the rear struts replaced with 02' struts for the manual transmission model (not sure why, b/c it's an automatic). It caused the rear end to sit up higher about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Again, thanks for the info.

Thanks so much for your help. This indeed may be the problem with the lights. I'll check it tomorrow and see. The person who owned it before me had the rear struts replaced with 02' struts for the manual transmission model (not sure why, b/c it's an automatic). It caused the rear end to sit up higher about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Again, thanks for the info.

Welcome. I think that should do it.

OK, I went out and loosened the nut and moved the arm up and down on the adjuster. Nothing happened, no movement up and down of the beams, either side. I was going to do the same for the front adjuster in order to eliminate anything else, but wasn't sure how to quickly adjust it since it has a threaded rod adjustment. Any ideas?

OK, I went out and loosened the nut and moved the arm up and down on the adjuster. Nothing happened, no movement up and down of the beams, either side. I was going to do the same for the front adjuster in order to eliminate anything else, but wasn't sure how to quickly adjust it since it has a threaded rod adjustment. Any ideas?

You may need to bounce the car some, or drive it. I'm not sure how to reset the warning light right now.

I've always been advised not to move the front adjusters. I have a maintenance CD so I'll try and look this up and see what I can find, as time permits.

Thanks for your help with this. I wonder if since the lights didn't move when I moved the sensor arm, that the rear sensor was damaged in the accident. It took a pretty good lick to the lower A arm which this is attached to and may have tweaked it enough to mess something up. With the high price of these sensors, it's a rather costly guess to see if it's the problem, but who knows, I may have to make that leap. I love the car but have been a little suprised at the price of parts, and the gas mileage.

Thanks for your help with this. I wonder if since the lights didn't move when I moved the sensor arm, that the rear sensor was damaged in the accident. It took a pretty good lick to the lower A arm which this is attached to and may have tweaked it enough to mess something up. With the high price of these sensors, it's a rather costly guess to see if it's the problem, but who knows, I may have to make that leap.  I love the car but have been a little suprised at the price of parts, and the gas mileage.

The lights aren't goin too move very much anyhow. If you park about 10 feet from a wall, you might see it. That's the distance used for aiming the headlights manually. You'd have to put a mark on the wall and then have someone watch for movement. Check the height of the beams on the wall. Then shut off the car and put something heavy in the trunk or a couple people in the back seat. Then start the car and turn the lights on again. If the level control is working, the light beam shuld adjust to the same place. If it isn't working, the light beams will be higher.

Also possible one of the wires from the sensor has a bad connection.

As for mileage, I get 19 - 20 MPG on mixed town and highway. 25 -26 MPG on Interstate trips with cruise control.

There are some parts places that discount quite a bit compared to dealerships, and some used parts places as well. Some of the maintenance items are available from Toyota much cheaper than from Lexus.

I tried to send a PM but it said it wasn't allowed. I guess you could send it to my address through member search.

Maybe because you don't have enough posts yet. I sent you an email throught this site. It should have my email addy on it. Then reply and I can send the PDF.

• 1 year later...

Ok. So I tried moving the the sensor abit and it didn't work the light is still on :censored: . Should I be Moving it UP or DOWN? Thanks for the reply's guy's.

OK guy's I got it! How the hell can the arm get so messed up and look toward the ground when it's supposed to be looking up towards the roof?

Ok. So I tried moving the the sensor abit and it didn't work the light is still on :censored: . Should I be Moving it UP or DOWN? Thanks for the reply's guy's.

OK guy's I got it! How the hell can the arm get so messed up and look toward the ground when it's supposed to be looking up towards the roof?

It happens lots of times when people change springs. The arms should be at a very wide angle, almost straight, rather than in a "L" shape. Most installers don't even know it's there, let alone know it has to be properly adjusted. Glad you got it fixed.

Yes the light is finally off! After first just moving the linkage up and down and not working. I came back here and read lots of other post. I just could not belive that the linkage was that messed up it was basically at an (<) angle kinda like a tiped over T. I took it apart and pointed the whole thing up like I had seen in so many pictures. I just couldn't belive it was going to be that much of an extreme movement.

BTW thanks soo much Bartkat for posting all kinds of info and Fast reply's and eventually leading me to fix this problem. :cheers:

OK , so it has to be in an"I" configuration which is straight up and down.

When you say you took it apart ,what did you take apart?

The adjusting bolt or the sensor?

Sorry for asking so much questions but the dealer did an alignment on my car the other day and screwed up my adjusters.

I had fixed it before but now it gives me the error on my headlights and still initializes the beams on start up.

Also did the error come no as soon as you started the car or after driving a few short feet. Mine starts fine but comes on after 40 feet or so every time

OK , so it has to be in an"I" configuration which is straight up and down.

When you say you took it apart ,what did you take apart?

The adjusting bolt or the sensor?

Sorry for asking so much questions but the dealer did an alignment on my car the other day and screwed up my adjusters.

I had fixed it before but now it gives me the error on my headlights and still initializes the beams on start up.

Also did the error come no as soon as you started the car or after driving a few short feet. Mine starts fine but comes on after 40 feet or so every time

Ok, well I Undid the adjusting bolt (flower looking one) undid it all the way and move the arm so it almost straight up then bolted it back up. Then I barely did any adjustment on the adjust ment bolt. it now Looks exaclty like this. fromback.jpg