Oil Filter

Hckplyr

Hey, I am going to be doing my first oil change on the car and had a couple questions. 1. what is a good oil filter to buy? 2. what is a good trick to getting off the oil filter without making to much of a mess?(Since it is very inconveniantly located on the side of the block) any help would be great.

Eeally, you should take it to either Toyota or Lexus for the oil changes in order to get the genuine parts. It could void your warranty if you don't have genuine Lexus parts in the car. I would definately not go out and just get any old filter. It is in a pretty tight spot but the dealer does it all the time and the cost is not that much different than anywhere else really.

Hey, I am going to be doing my first oil change on the car and had a couple questions. 1. what is a good oil filter to buy? 2. what is a good trick to getting off the oil filter without making to much of a mess?(Since it is very inconveniantly located on the side of the block) any help would be great.

You can get all the genuine filters from irontoad.com. Put a plastic bag around the filter and remove it bag and all to prevent spilling. It's easier to get it out if you pull out the transmission dip stick and take the filter out from there.

Doing your own oil changes does not in any way void your warranty. Just keep your receipts and note the mileage at each one. Now, I don't know that every dealership uses the same oil, but awhile back I was in a hurry and took it in for an oil change and they used Castrol Syntec 5-30. I wasn't really happy with that. But oh well. And for the record, not all synthetics are as good as others. I use Amsoil. And you can upgrade the oil filter to TRD oil filters or the Toyota Japan oil filter which is a way better filter. 3 years ago Toyota stopped importing the Denso oil filter and now they use the Toyota USA oil filter which is not as good.

The part number for the Denso Toyota oil filter is 90915-20004. You can go here to get it: http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2217

• 2 weeks later...

If you are using conventional oil, I would use the Toyota filter. Toyota dealerships that I have gone to do carry the filter for the Lexus IS. Like Bartkat said, place a plastic shopping bag down in there. I let the filter drop in the bag, then pull the bag out. Also, use ramps as opposed to a jack. You will find it easier to maneuver the oil pan.