Rx300 Problems

runner

On my 99 RX300 the auto feature on the headlights will not operate all the time. Sometimes the lights will go off after say 5 minutes and then sometimes they won't go off at all. I thought maybe the relay is bad or the contacts are dirty.

Also, is it normal for the doors to relock when you unlock them with the remote key. I know if you don't open the door within 30 seconds, they relock, but recently I've noticed that when unlocking the door and opening the door, when I close the door, the doors relock. If I put the keys in the ignitions, remove it and then close the door, it won't relock.

Any help?

It sounds like you have a dirty door switch that is not telling the alarm or the headlights you opened it and to start there timers

remove the boot and clean with white grease

check to make sure the dome light is working when the door and switch is closed.

• 3 weeks later...

On the RX there are no visible door plungers. Evidently they are located within the door near the handle and door latch mechanism. I did a little experimenting with the rear door and figured that's where the 'plungers' are. Also, the dome light will come on but the thing that must trigger the timers is the door light at the bottom of the door. When that light doesn't come on, the doors relock. I haven't removed the door panel to get access to the switch yet. I'll bet removing the door panel will be somewhat of a pain. I've decided to just remember to open and close the rear door to activate the timers.