Replacing Air Filter 1996 Es300

Alright, let me apologize for the retarded question.

I just bought a 1996 Lexus ES300 and got a K&N air filter the other day. I thought it would be easy enough to put in but i can't seem to get the casing off. I undid the 5 clips holding the casing on, and can't figure out how to get the freaking thing open so I can put the K&N filter in. Any help of directions very much appreciated.

Thanks

It is not a retarded question...it is a totally legitamate as I encountered then same dilemna when I installed mine.

mine is an 02 but it should be similar. I think I know what is limiting you.

I don't have clips but have four screws instead of clips. On the rear outside wall of the air box is a hose and bracket. This bracket is held onto the cover of the air box. Remove the screw to the bracket assembly so that the bracket is free from the cover. This will remove downward pressure on the cover so that you can raise it up slightly and slip the stock air filter out and slip the K&N in.

Pay close attention to the impressions around the edge of the stock filter coming out as it will help orient the K&N going in.

good luck.

steviej