Electrical issues

grandpa_spec98

Weird electrical issues happening recently…

-

Driving car around, battery is charged fine. I can tell the battery charge by the sound the tilt away wheel makes when it comes down and how quickly the engine turns over. Go to start the car, starts, runs for less than a second, then all power to everything in the car shuts off, almost like a dead battery. Turn the key to off and pull out, turn key and everything lights up, radio presets are gone and VSC needs to recalibrate. Now if you leave the key on while the car plays dead and open the hood, just touching the negative terminal on the battery (connected to the car still) with your finger, you get a shock, and then you hear everything turn on, fuel pump primes, e fan kicks in if up to temp, headlights come on if on auto and the throttle body starts clicking (re-calibrating VSC)

-

Ground cable looks fine, battery never discharges and no other electrical issues that I know of. I believe this is the third time this has happened and it starts right back up every time, recalibrates VSC and putts on down the road.

-

98 LS400

281,000 Miles

If there is a slight voltage draw, touching the negative cable clamp or terminal can create a spark. Sometimes the voltage draw could be a light under the hood or an open door or trunk. There may be a loose ground somewhere. You may want to take your car to an Auto Electric shop. They are typically experts at resolving electrical issues.

• Like 1