1999 RX300 wont start, turns over, has spark, and I can hear the fuel pump ?? .after key is off.

Todd L.

Battery great. Cranks over and wants to start with a little starting fluid. New MAF sensor. I can hear the fuel pump run right after I disengage the key. Check fuses, connectors, grounds, etc....Could the fuel pump be bad but still make noise? I am stumped.

Can you remove a spark plug to see if it's gas-soaked? That may indicate an ignition problem. Does your engine have separate ignition coils or one? Mechanics would also do a pressure test of the fuel line to verify whether the pump is good.

51 minutes ago, RX400h said:

Can you remove a spark plug to see if it's gas-soaked? That may indicate an ignition problem. Does your engine have separate ignition coils or one? Mechanics would also do a pressure test of the fuel line to verify whether the pump is good.

Yes I did. Didn't seem very wet. They are separate coils. No shrader valve either that I could press to check for pressure. Newer plugs and great spark.

The fuel pump could be bad. Having the fuel pressure checked with a fuel pressure gauge T'ed into the fuel line may be necessary.

On 3/9/2022 at 12:30 PM, Todd L. said:

Yes I did. Didn't seem very wet. They are separate coils. No shrader valve either that I could press to check for pressure. Newer plugs and great spark.

I checked again, they were wet. Pulled one plug, it actually ran for a few seconds with plug out. put that plug back in, pulled the other 2 front and it ran even longer. put them all back and got it fully running. It ran a bit rough and eventually mellowed out. Ran the OBD reader and got nod codes. then it would gradually start idling faster, up to 2500 RPMs. Something is still wrong but it is running. now trying to figure that out....wierd 

3 hours ago, RX400h said:

The fuel pump could be bad. Having the fuel pressure checked with a fuel pressure gauge T'ed into the fuel line may be necessary.

I don't have a gauge but cracked the bolt on the end of the fuel manifold. Had fuel, had wifey turn it over and cracked it loose, I have pressure. Not fuel pump. Pulled one plug, it actually ran for a few seconds with plug out. put that plug back in, pulled the other 2 front and it ran even longer. put them all back and got it fully running. It ran a bit rough and eventually mellowed out. Ran the OBD reader and got nod codes. then it would gradually start idling faster, up to 2500 RPMs. Something is still wrong but it is running. now trying to figure that out....wierd