Window gaskets melting?

Jeninja

Has anyone had problems with window gaskets deteriorating? I have a 2008. My windows have dirty "glue" marks on them every time I roll them up or down. I thought it was my tint going bad, but I went back to the tint shop and the guy said he had seen it in other lexus' 

I searched this page but don't see anything on this topic, but the fact that my dashboard melted, it wouldn't surprise me if the inside of the doors/windows are melting. 

Has anyone else experiences this? Or know what part I should replace?

• 1 year later...

If the rubber is melting because car drives in an area with hot climate Lexus should change the parts that are melting without charging anything, plus excusing that they did not make the car with materials that can be driven in warmer areas.

There is absolutely no excuse for building a car that cannot be driven in places where car is sold.

Natural rubber can deteriorate if in places where temperature is above 85 degrees Celsius and that could happen in a car door when parked in sunshine.

Lexus engineers know that and should use synthetic rubber in high temperature areas. Cheap rubber is cheap and quality cost more.

Good quality silicone rubber has no problem with temperatures above 300 degrees Celsius (used in tubes for oil coolers in Porsche engines) and that will have not be melting in temperatures that will not damage insulation of electric wires etc so should be not giving problems.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, RX400h said:

You should be able to use Goo-Gone or if you're very careful, acetone. Be sure to waer neoprene gloves or equivalent.

Acetone is a strong thing, will remove grease and also paint, will damage rubber, so your advice to be careful is absolutely correct. Acetone is also hard on skin so gloves are needed even though I find it difficult to work wearing gloves.

I would take the windows to be cleaned out of the car as both the mentioned remedies are hard on many things in the car, including plastic.

Nail polish remover without acetone could maybe also be used.

image.thumb.png.a4883b7873b7c32bb94cd31298f7abbe.png

• Like 1