Hydraulic hoses

Adrian420

I’m replacing my power steering pump on my 98 LS400 and I am having trouble finding the hoses that connect directly to my reservoir. Does anybody know where I can find them or if I can use any hoes that will fit?

The large hose is available from Toyota, P/N 44348-50010.

The small hose is only sold as part of the hard line assembly, P/N 44406-50160.  This line is +$140 and some change.  The small hose is actually 10mm ID which is difficult, if not impossible to find.  3/8" ID hose is a super tight fit even if you spray silicone lube on the nipple and hose.

The only 10mm hose I found I purchased here (medium pressure chemical hose): https://www.mcmaster.com/hose/id~10mm/connection-style~without-fittings/

It's made of Buna-N which is compatible with ATF.  The only thing is this hose is stiff but it's workable.  I haven't been running this hose very long (a few days) so I can't comment on how well it lasts but by all accounts, it should work for the PS system.  It just looks funky.

Alternatively, you might want to inquire at your local hydraulic shop for the proper sized hose.

20211112_202629.jpg

20211112_202718.jpg

• Like 1

I actually had gone and replaced my reservoir hoses recently during a head gasket job as they had gone hard. It was on a '98 as well, and I found that some parts stores have bulk hose that fits well. The thicker hose fit nicely with a 5/8 in diameter bulk hose, and the thinner one fit with a 3/8 in hose. I'm not sure what trouble Paulo ran into with the 3/8, but it was a snug fit with no lube necessary for me; just a little wiggling and pushing.

Both are short enough with no large bends that imo molded hoses are really not necessary. Just make sure to check that they are made of a suitable material, not something that will absorb the ATF or be degraded by it.