New Owner With Problems

:angry: I have my lexus 330 for one month and I want to get rid of it. the gas pedal has about 2-3 inches of play before you start to move the car. The hestitation is horrible, I called 800 25 lexus and am waiting for a reply. Please tell me what you have done with this problem as i under stand it is a big problem. thank you.

Unfortunately this hesitation in the transmission under acceleration is a common occurrence in most of the '02-'04 ES. Most people just deal with it. There is however a TSB (technical service bulletin) released for the '02-'03 ES that updates the software inside the ECT-i of the ES and supposedly fixes the hesitation problem. It's not a total guarantee but it's a freebie fix. I'm not sure if a similar TSB is released for the '04 ES.

actually lexusk8, the TSB does virtually nothing for the hesitation.

The TSB is a flashover for the ECT that changes the shiftpoints. This TSB removes the slight shuttering that occurs when the tranny hunts for OD or 4th gear when cruising at about 40 mph with no load on the engine. The hesitations are less aparent but are still present nonetheless.

The hesitations are more a factor or the electronic throttle system and not so much a tranny problem.

antique37, give it some time. Learn the throttle system and feel the car. It will take some time but you will soon love the smoothness of this car. Don't expect Corvette accelerations, it ain't gonna happen. If it is the first "fly by wire" car you have driven, you have to learn it as it learns you.

be patient, it will come to you.

steviej

You both are right on! It does take getting used to. I'm also getting used to the transmission shifting when I'm going downhill at about 45 - 50 and I step on the brake. Boy, what a sensation.

BTW - my car is in the shop for the third time re the tires. I cannot tell you how frustrated I am with this issue. The Dunlaps are being removed and Michelins going on! We'll see . . .

This is a symptom all cars with a throttle by wire system exhibit, just gotta get used to it.

Not all cars have a delay.

I had a '00 Volvo V70 XC with a drive by wire or electronic throttle control. When I stepped onthe gas, it went into action immediately. I never experienced any noticable delay in accelleration on this car as I have with the few ES 330's that I have had as loaners.

Unfortunately, the throttle control module went bad at 55K miles (where a cable could last indefinitely). It caused the car to speed up and slow down randomly with no input from the pedal (fairly dangerous in some situations as you can imagine). Personally I didn't think that I should have to replace something like this at just over 50K, but my warranty was up and Volvo of North America was completely unwilling to do anything about it. It wasn't cheap either. P&L came to just over $1K. Volvo's total lack of response to a problem this serious, and the poor support and service from Phillips Volvo are what led me to sell it.