Detonation...

Is a :censored: . My baby had been sitting for about three weeks. I did some minor work on her and had her on jack stands. Well, had to run in to work for a little while today and decided to take the beast. First the battery was dead. Left the trunk open and it must have drained it. Got her jumped and let her idle a while. Took her down the street real easy and let it all get warmed up. Then WOT!! She spike to 1.8 kg/cm^2 and detonated sequentially. Shot a puff of smoke out the back. I had the high boost button activated. D'oh... never heard that before on this car. Maybe the petro got weak leaving it sit and then high boosting it definitely didn't help. I promptly deactivated high boost and drove in the rest of the way without incident. It was a very minor bout of detonation. But I think she will need to visit the tuner after I make sure nothing was hurt. Seems just fine though. Checked her out in the parking lot and she showed no unusual signs of trouble. She was really movin' though ;)

I think everything will be all right. The same thing has happened to me. Cold mornings on the way to work. Boost creeps a bit, and will start a little detonation. nothing too bad. Just a little bit of black smoke at the shift. It's almost impossible to have your car completely tuned for all situations. Air pressure, air temp, intake temp. Everything can have such a drastic effect on your tuning.

1.8!?!? Thats almost 30lbs...is that what you normally run for high boost? Mine used to spike up to 1.1 before the fuel cut would come in, but once i got my setting right its always in the safe(.9) If anyone would ever offer headers at a reasonable price then i could get some turbos that wont fly apart above 15lbs. Damn toyota glue turbos.....

Damn, you're right. 1.8 is 25.6 pounds. That is wrong. Had to go out and look at the controller. It only goes to 1.6. It was two bars down from the max and that is 1.4 kg/cm^2 wich is 19.11111 pounds I think if my math is right. No wonder she rumbled at me eh? That was with the high boost dialed to the mid position though. I think my wastegate is sticking.

Bean_8044: good catch. Hey, if you were in the states I'd say, lets fab one up for that 1jz. If you can find a good welder, you should be able to get a one off manifold for a decent price if you buy the weld els yourself. You could do a custom merge and flange of your choice for 1g easy I'd say. Unless that is too much clams.