Trailer Wiring Harness

Sandblast

I just installed a factory receiver hitch with wiring harness on a 2004 RX 330. The vehicle was not originally equipped with the optional towing package. All of the installation went great until I checked the plug for power. It appears that there is no power to the plug located under the storage bins in the rear of the vehicle. Is there a step I am missing?

Thanks in advance for any information.

• 11 months later...
I just installed a factory receiver hitch with wiring harness on a 2004 RX 330. The vehicle was not originally equipped with the optional towing package. All of the installation went great until I checked the plug for power. It appears that there is no power to the plug located under the storage bins in the rear of the vehicle. Is there a step I am missing?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Check the fuse box, and install a fuse for it.

A defect in the factory wiring is highly unlikely. This was a common problem many had with 2001 RX (not sure if this applies to 04). They would put in the fuse and add the pigtail by plugging into the harness in the black plastic compartment under the spare but found there was no power. In 2001 there was also a plug in power module that needed to be added. Did you use the module?

A defect in the factory wiring is highly unlikely. This was a common problem many had with 2001 RX (not sure if this applies to 04). They would put in the fuse and add the pigtail by plugging into the harness in the black plastic compartment under the spare but found there was no power. In 2001 there was also a plug in power module that needed to be added. Did you use the module?

I have a used 2001 RX too. I am thinking about installing the hitch myself. Do you have a picture about the power module? I found a blue box plugged into the wireharness in the trunk ( dirver side, close the spare tire location). Since I bot it used, I am not sure what it is.

Thanks. :cheers:

Based upon the other posting about installing trailer hitches on the 04, I do not think that there is a power module needed. There is a plug located under the driver side rear compartment that matched the factory supplied wire harness that came with the hitch. Was the power module stock with the car or was it aftermarket?