97 Shifter Light Problem

No problems here. It doesn't hurt to try this method: You could try lightly smacking the plastic area of the shifter console (where the P, R, N, D, 2, L are located) and see if that works. If you're lucky, the bulb (if there IS a bulb) will get moved to the correct position and make proper contact again.

Just a crazy suggestion, no guarantees, but again it doesn't hurt to try :)

Fern- Thanks for the link however I think the instructions are how to change individual bulbs on the console. The dealership told me that there is one central bulb under the console that lights the display. I need to figure out how to get the console off. There are no visible screws to take it off.

I need to figure out how to get the console off. There are no visible screws to take it off.

I believe you first have to pry out the wood trim that surrounds the shifter console. Use a flathead with some electrical tape around it so as not to crack any of the pried out parts. That would be the first thing I'd do. From there, all the wirings and little gadgets should be exposed, and hopefully you can figure out where the shifter console is lighted up.

This is a pretty easy repair -

Like the last poster commented, pry off the wood surrounding the shifter, then you will see the whole shift area exposed. There are 4 points where the top of the shift trim clips on, just pry those up carefully and lift up the place (the part that has P R N D on it). Down inside there is a wedge type bulb that you can buy at radio shack or most auto parts stores, fairly common size bulb. There is a green sleeve over the bulb that is responsible for the color of the light, just pull that off and slip it on your new bulb, pop it in and you're all done!

Hope this helps

Sean