First Trip Experience in my ES350

Austin Isikhuemen

Just had my first road trip experience with my used es350 2009 model bought 6th September 2016. Drove 350 km (217 miles) from Lagos to Benin City. What a smooth ride. That car virtually glides and overtaking was effortless. The car felt nimble for its size.

I have used several Mercedes and Toyota cars previously but I must confess, in terms of comfort and smoothness, this Lexus takes the trophy! The music system is great and air-conditioning excellent. 

Evelyn and the kids were ecstatic on my arrival as I successfully kept the purchase a secret so came to them as a surprise! 

The only issues I have noticed are:

1. The tyre (tire) pressure indicator light on

2. AFS indicator flashing and Driver side HID light failing intermittently.

Looks like my Lexus and I are in for a great time. My official Driver may have to do less driving as being on the driving seat is even more pleasurable!

Cheers.

Austin

20160911_044944.jpg

• Like 1

Austin,

Glad to hear that your new ride has impressed you and yours! Driving my wife's ES always puts a smile on my face too.

As for the TPMS light, It could be that one of your tires is down on pressure. Bringing all tires up to pressure may do the trick and shut off the warning light, but it usually takes a short drive over 25 mph to trigger it off if everything is correct. Sometimes even that won't turn the light off, and you have to trick the system. Take all of the tires up to 40 psi, and drive until it triggers off. Then drop all tire pressures back down to the required pressure on the driver's door sticker.

As for the AFLS error light, first ensure that both front lights work (or replace the burned out one) and that their connectors are properly attached and not corroded. Once both lights are working, park the car close to a wall at dark and turn the lights on and start the car. Both headlights should sweep up and down and then settle to a middle height. If this happens, both headlight motors are working correctly.

If you still have AFLS warning light, then the sensor that tells the motors to move the lights up and down may be at fault. Crawl under the rear passenger side wheel and look at its suspension link arms. On one of them is a small rod on a swing joint that goes straight up to a small rotating sensor switch on a bracket attached to the floor of the car. As the car suspension goes over undulations on the road, the suspension movement moves the rod up and down, moving the contacts inside the sensor to trigger the headlights up or down to keep the headlights out of the eyes of oncoming drivers. If the sensor wiring connector is corroded, the sensor itself defective, or the rod is disconnected, the headlights won't move to follow the terrain, hence the warning light on the dash.

If that sensor is bad, find a used one, as a new one is just over $600 in Canada. eBay is where I found the one for my wife's last ES for $150. Good Luck!