3 year warranty OR 2 year warranty and 20,000 miles maintenance

lexus0822

Hello Everyone,

I bought a CPO 2013 Rx-350 last December (2015). I was advertised 3 year/36000 miles warranty as part of the CPO program.

Interestingly, I got a letter from Lexus suggesting that they had terminated the old program and the new program included 2 year warranty and 20,000 mile complementary maintenance. Lexus says that it was bad on my dealers part that they didn't correctly advertise the program details.

The dealer is willing to rectify this by working with Lexus but I am being told that the new ( 2 year warranty and 20,000 mile complementary maintenance ) program is better than the old one and are asking me to think through.

Appreciate your thoughts on the situation. 

Hi Lexuso822 ad welcome to the Lexus Owners Club.

I apologize for taking so long to respond to your post.

Frankly, this is the first I have heard about the change in the the CPO coverage. I have purchased a CPO car a few years back` and had no trouble getting  problems taken care of.

If  understand your situation correctly, the willingness of the dealer, in cooperation with Lexus corp, sounds like a very fair and reasonable solution for you..

From your description, it would appear that the dealer is being up front and willing to make things right. You mention others are advising you to step back and think it over. You might take advantage of the situation to have the dealer write out what will they do, when it will be completed and specifically when and what will be included in the agreement. An example for something to be agreed upon is a free rotation of your tires. That can run between $75 - $100 .

Please come back with any questions you might have and someone will try to steer you in the right direction.

I'

Hi pj8708,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

The dealer is not willing to do anything extra. They are willing to work with lexus to change my CPO benefit to 3 year warranty as was originally noted in the signed contract. 

However, the dealer is pitching me that the 2 year warranty + 4 services (20,000 miles) service is better than the standalone 3 year warranty. They want me to think through before they proceed with Lexus to change the CPO benefits to the 3 year warranty. 

So my question to the expert owners here is, which of the following is better?

1) 3 year warranty

Or 

2) 2 year warranty + 4 services free (20,000 miles)

Thanks!

I'm not sure if there is a right answer. In order to get the 3 year's do you have to sign separate document/contract?. Most dealers try to sell additional products or services. to put more money in their pocket. If it is an extended warranty you will have to pay for it.

The biggest item in this deal is which one covers the bumper to bumper as the original warranty did. It's not the oil changes or a dead  battery

My suggestion is to find out more about the 3 year deal. If they will give you the 3yr warranty and you don't have to pay anything, then go for it.

• 4 weeks later...

I leased a 2014 RX350 with a 3 year warrantee and was to receive all services paid by Lexus for my through my first 2 oil changes. I was told that this was because oil changes were necessary at the 10,000 miles markers.  After having driven the car for  5,000 miles a service light comes on and I take the car to the dealership to find out that it needs to be serviced every 5,000 miles and that the service is covered by Lexus. I am okay with that, as long as it's covered by my agreement.  I take it in at the 10,000 mile mark and they service it again without cost to me.  Now I'm 2/3 into my lease and have just reached my 15,000 mile mark. I'm doing real good on my lease mileage.  I take it in for service and they tell me I have to pay over $300 for this service period.  I tell them well I was told that this service is gratis through my 2nd oil change.  They say there is no such agreement.  Your first 2 services are free and after that all services are to be paid for by the owner. Now I don't want to be petty but that means this minor mile marker and the next one, which is larger are now at my expense. Which is in direct conflict with what I had been told when I originally leased the vehicle.  Has anyone else been told either the first 2 services were free or the 1st 2 oil changes were free?

To answer your Question Lexus 0822, I'd go with the 2year and all services are free.  Because by the 3rd year if nothing has happened in the first 2 years than the chances are good that your car will still be in great shape after they have serviced it every 5,000 miles for free.  I had a 2000 RX300 for 9 years and had nothing major go wrong with it over the whole period and I bought it second hand in 2005.  It's the only reason I looked at buying another Lexus.  But this experience is putting a very bad taste in my mouth with the dealerships and how they miss inform you or just out right lie. And they've lied to me more than once at this dealership, but that's another story.