outside mirror

Carrie14

I need to have the outside mirror on my 2007 ES350 Lexus tighten. I recently took it into an automated car wash and now I notice the mirror is shaking.  My question is, is this a costly repair?

If just the mirror glass is shaking, it is held in place by four plastic prongs that snap into the part that rotates and tilts.  If one or two prongs are still intact and have just popped out of the underlying part then it is just a matter of snapping it back into place.  If one or more prongs are broken then the mirror glass must be replaced.  The last time I checked, OEM exterior mirror glass was several hundred dollars each.  Since they are heated and might also be automatically dimming, there is an electrical connection on the backs of the mirror glasses.  The mirror glasses are fairly easy to replace but the method of removing them can vary by model.  I've used a small blade screwdriver to pop the mirror glasses out..

I know that automatic car washes are handy but I've watched numerous people fill out damage claim forms at the car wash I use.  I use only the manual bays of the car wash and have not used an automatic car wash for decades due to damage I've had on vehicles.  I am also "cheap" and can do a much better job of getting a vehicle clean with a car wash wand at a lower cost.

carrie14,

Assuming that the backing plate for the glass mirror has come disconnected from its motorized plate, because two or more of its clips are broken, it is possible to fix it without a replacement. I recently did this on one of my vehicles and it works very well.

The trick is moving the mirror glass into the mirror housing such that you can easily see the backing plate clips. Once there, put a small gob of silicone sealant on the end of a thin long screw driver or similar, and deposit it the seam between the mirror glass and the motorized plate about where the clips aren't doing their job. Do this in several places, and allow the sealant to cure over night before using the mirror.

Providing this was the issue, your problem should be solved.

• 2 months later...
On 2/11/2016 at 1:12 PM, gbhrps said:

carrie14,

Assuming that the backing plate for the glass mirror has come disconnected from its motorized plate, because two or more of its clips are broken, it is possible to fix it without a replacement. I recently did this on one of my vehicles and it works very well.

The trick is moving the mirror glass into the mirror housing such that you can easily see the backing plate clips. Once there, put a small gob of silicone sealant on the end of a thin long screw driver or similar, and deposit it the seam between the mirror glass and the motorized plate about where the clips aren't doing their job. Do this in several places, and allow the sealant to cure over night before using the mirror.

Providing this was the issue, your problem should be solved.

carrie14, I agree with gbhrps; another way would be to use a double sided 3M tape, ensuring that both ends that it will stick to are cleaned with an alcohol wipe