Clock Running Fast (Approx. 45 Minute Advance)?

Greetings all:

We've been experiencing a strange problem with our dashboard clock over the past several months, and no matter how we try to fix it, the problem persists:

The clock somehow tends to "speed up" or "run fast," ending up reading a time that is more or less 45 minutes in advance (i.e., if it's 9PM, it'll state 9:45PM).

I know this is ripe for some Back to the Future jokes, but it's been really annoying. We've given up trying to fix it, so normally we just subtract about 45 mins. from the readout.

What I don't understand is how it gets to that point. I don't have time to actually guage how fast the clock is running, but we'd set it and notice that within a few days, it would already be off by more than a couple of minutes and continue to do so until it reaches about 45 minutes ahead, then it stops and settles.

Does anyone else have this problem? How is it that such a basic electronic mechanism as a dash clock be out of sync like that??

Thanks for your time.

Mine has done the same thing since almost day one in 2005, I have a great dealer but for some reason I waited a year to complain about it and they said the only solution is to replace the entire center stack, they cannot replace the clock only. I was told they would do that in the first twelve months of ownership only at lexus expense and it would be my responsibility after that. This dealer has helped me with other things and as I said been honest and reliable so I just decided to live with it, but it does look like it is a more common problem than what I was led to believe.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Same problem with my 2013 Lexus Gs350 with the clock consistently running fast.  I ended up replacing the crystal on the clock circuit board and problem fixed.  Cost me a total of 33 cents....

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2021 at 9:27 PM, Duke22 said:

Same problem with my 2013 Lexus Gs350 with the clock consistently running fast.  I ended up replacing the crystal on the clock circuit board and problem fixed.  Cost me a total of 33 cents....

On 5/21/2021 at 9:27 PM, Duke22 said:

Do you mind giving more details on this? I have a 2013 Gs with the same issue. 

• 3 months later...

Duke22:  Can you please reply back with the crystal part number?  I am an electronic engineer and always welcome the opportunity to use my abilities to save $$$ on car parts by doing a repair myself.  🙂.  My 2013 GS350 F-sport clock has just this month started running fast.  Thanks in advance...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...