New Lexus App. For 2016

pj8708

Guess it does a lot of stuff. Never knew my car had it until I got an expiration notice. Seems they wanted $264.90 to renew for a year so seeing as how I had never used it, I figured I didn't need it as much as I needed $264.90 and gave a big negative. I did call them and asked them to extend it since the dealership never told me about the feature but I received a SOL message on that one. Turned the satellite radio off as well since I don't drive the car much and have plenty of other tunes.

Also I'm not exactly sure I want Lexus monitoring my travel and locations. Next thing the info will be in China.

Guess it does a lot of stuff. Never knew my car had it until I got an expiration notice. Seems they wanted $264.90 to renew for a year so seeing as how I had never used it, I figured I didn't need it as much as I needed $264.90 and gave a big negative. I did call them and asked them to extend it since the dealership never told me about the feature but I received a SOL message on that one. Turned the satellite radio off as well since I don't drive the car much and have plenty of other tunes.

Also I'm not exactly sure I want Lexus monitoring my travel and locations. Next thing the info will be in China.

I think most people and certainly most Lexus forum moderators would put forth a little more effort to explore the features of their new Lexus vehicles than you did. :chairshot:

I've taken delivery of a number of brands of new cars (VW, Volvo, Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Mercedes) and none of the delivery "ceremonies" and overviews went into much detail. It was always something like: "here's your owners manual which explains everything". (The Mercedes delivery really was a ceremony - not sure if giving a person a glass of Champagne before driving away was a good idea but it was the 70's.)

The annual cost of the "Enform Complete Package" does seem a little high - particularly when it is the same for a relatively inexpensive IS250 and a vastly more expensive LS600hL.

It is possible to "unbundle" Safety Connect and subscribe to it separately: https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/lexusenform/subscriptions.do

We purchased multi-year subscriptions to Safety Connect on our Toyota Sienna and Prius to get a lower per year cost and I assume that discounted multi-year subscriptions are available for Lexus since the single-year cost is the same for Toyota and Lexus brand vehicles. And maybe discounted multi-year subscriptions are available for the "Enform Complete Package"?

Denny, do you have a cell phone? If you do, you are already being tracked! :chairshot:

(How many "chairshots" can be put in one post?) :rolleyes:

I think most people and certainly most Lexus forum moderators would put forth a little more effort to explore the features of their new Lexus vehicles than you did. :chairshot:

I've taken delivery of a number of brands of new cars (VW, Volvo, Honda, Toyota, Lexus, Mercedes) and none of the delivery "ceremonies" and overviews went into much detail. It was always something like: "here's your owners manual which explains everything". (The Mercedes delivery really was a ceremony - not sure if giving a person a glass of Champagne before driving away was a good idea but it was the 70's.)

The annual cost of the "Enform Complete Package" does seem a little high - particularly when it is the same for a relatively inexpensive IS250 and a vastly more expensive LS600hL.

It is possible to "unbundle" Safety Connect and subscribe to it separately: https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/lexusenform/subscriptions.do

We purchased multi-year subscriptions to Safety Connect on our Toyota Sienna and Prius to get a lower per year cost and I assume that discounted multi-year subscriptions are available for Lexus since the single-year cost is the same for Toyota and Lexus brand vehicles. And maybe discounted multi-year subscriptions are available for the "Enform Complete Package"?

Denny, do you have a cell phone? If you do, you are already being tracked! :chairshot:

(How many "chairshots" can be put in one post?) :rolleyes:

A good moderator knows their audience and when one of those is you, I advise, "Abandon hope all ye who enter here." LOL

In 2013, when we took delivery of our RX and ES, the dealer was in the process of implementing the Technical Customer Rep program that Lexus was wanting all dealers to establish.

The person with the dealer spent a good 1/2 hour with my wife and her RX. He was very patient, knew what he was talking about, and she left feeling like she was important to them.

They continue this part of the delivery package, and will even come to your home if you'd like.

Paul

Guess that makes me a moderate moderator. I did read the entire manual albeit after the fact. I drive the car so little that I never bothered to try the stuff. Upon reading the manual I decided that many upper level graduate university courses are easier to understand. While I'm sure the intentions are to make for safer travel, I found that many of the new features are rather distracting and take focus from what I'm there to do which is drive. Most of the places I travel I know so well that navigation is pointless although the few times I did use the Lexus navigation, it steered me off a main route, around through a neighborhood and back to the original route a block later? I have also had it tell me to get off an Interstate at an exit I know had nothing to do with the route. That leaves me feeling a certainly uncomfortable trusting feeling. I do have all avoidances off of course AND the location services on my phone are generally off.

Raining harder here in good old Virginia Beach. Went down to the ocean this afternoon for lunch with my cousin and her husband who are visiting. Waves are up and probably 50 surfers out. Looks like it may be a tough weekend here on the seaboard.

Denny

My dealership has a class like every 6 weeks for new buyers. They go over everything in great detail and introduce you to all the service personal. They even had refreshments. It was nice.

When I bought my Infiniti, I got a 30 minute tech lesson and I was allowed another 30 minutes if I needed it. I never did.

I haven't touched my owners manual. It is still tucked neatly into it's little cubby hole in my trunk. Please feel free to whack me with the chair. My car does everything I want it to. I can't think of anything I might be missing. oh.....about 130 more horsepower would be nice. ^_^

Most of the places I travel I know so well that navigation is pointless although the few times I did use the Lexus navigation, it steered me off a main route, around through a neighborhood and back to the original route a block later? I have also had it tell me to get off an Interstate at an exit I know had nothing to do with the route. That leaves me feeling a certainly uncomfortable trusting feeling. I do have all avoidances off of course AND the location services on my phone are generally off.

Navigation systems are an aid - not a directive - and they get easier to use with practice. Review the route choices before selecting one - don't just press the "go" button and accept the default route. Perhaps review the turn lists. Glancing at the map while driving can help. If the navigation voice tells you to do something obviously ineffective, ignore it and it will automatically reroute you - often in a better way. I once had a portable navigation device (Magellan) tell me to turn on to a bridge over the Missouri River than had been removed several years earlier. I guess I could have driven through the barrier and into the water but I decided not to do that.

Phones can be tracked regardless of whether or not you have turned off location services - even older phones before GPS on phones was mandated for 911 emergency services can be tracked via signal triangulation.

Raining harder here in good old Virginia Beach. Went down to the ocean this afternoon for lunch with my cousin and her husband who are visiting. Waves are up and probably 50 surfers out. Looks like it may be a tough weekend here on the seaboard.

Oh, poor Denny! I remember a blustery, cool day in May, 2006 when my wife and I were dining at restaurant on the Virginia Beach strip a stone's throw from the water. It really is true: A bad day at the beach is better than a good day at the office. It's funny how I often remember vacations by the cars we rented - that 2-week vacation was "Ford 500 Limited" trip.

A bad day at the beach IS better than a good day at the office. Went down yesterday and had lunch on the boardwalk at Mahi Mahi. Looks like ole VB is in for some real weather the next few days.

I haven't touched my owners manual. It is still tucked neatly into it's little cubby hole in my trunk. Please feel free to whack me with the chair. My car does everything I want it to. I can't think of anything I might be missing. oh.....about 130 more horsepower would be nice. ^_^

If you don't read the manual, you might not know what you are missing. There may be features that you would really value if you knew about them.

One of my roles in my "retirement gig" is to write instructional materials and to get supposedly highly educated technical staff to use them and other reference materials that would help them use technology to perform their tasks more efficiently.

It's a lot like persuading car owners to read owners manuals!

post-2157-0-86436600-1443713515_thumb.jp

Funny you mention retirement. I just posted on FB. I trimmed about 100 limbs with my new extendable saw, did 4 loads of laundry, washed my car and rearranged and cleaned a room, all before noon and I didn't make a dime!

Sheesh!!! Oh well it is about 75 and sunny with a slight breeze. I'm fixing to go enjoy my beautiful girl.

NOT working is MUCH more fun than working. I walk, mow, clean, drive and whatever. Don't miss working one iota.

Apparently the weather has decided to move to Charleston for awhile. Actually saw a peek of sun for first time in weeks.

It needs to get away from Charleston. My daughter lives there.

Hey Becki,

We are going to Charleston the first part of November just to check-out the low lands and the Charleston sights.

Do you or your daughter know of any restaurants you could recommend?

Thank you!

Paul

If you don't read the manual, you might not know what you are missing. There may be features that you would really value if you knew about them.

One of my roles in my "retirement gig" is to write instructional materials and to get supposedly highly educated technical staff to use them and other reference materials that would help them use technology to perform their tasks more efficiently.

It's a lot like persuading car owners to read owners manuals!

I love the cartoon!!!!

When it comes to Owners Manuals, 900 pages is a little daunting. But a lot of questions that come here are in the manuals.

Tel me what type restaurant you are interested in. Are you thinking the downtown area?

Yes, we are thinking of the downtown area. I think we are looking for traditional southern fare for us to try, or one that might have some historic connection.

Thanks Becki.