Lexus Lx470 After Market Radio

Mikebats

I have a 2000 lx470 with a nakamichi sound system. I want to put a after market stereo in it so I can use a aux cord. My current radios tape deck dosent work or the cs player. I went to a local shop and the guy told me that it isn't possible to replace the sound system. Is this true?

I have a 2000 lx470 with a nakamichi sound system. I want to put a after market stereo in it so I can use a aux cord. My current radios tape deck dosent work or the cs player. I went to a local shop and the guy told me that it isn't possible to replace the sound system. Is this true?

Assuming your audio system also gives you gps and climate controls in the same general area (i.e., it's NOT a double-DIN system with climate controls below it on the center console) it's doable but a real female dog.

Check the 100-series forum on ih8mud.com for more info and rotsa' ruck. ;)

Steve

You would need a very knowledgeable installer to replace the Nak head unit with an aftermarket one since interface harnesses are not commercially available. A super Best Buy installer replaced the Nak head unit in my 2000 LS400 with a double DIN screen based DDX470 in 2013 using the Nak amp and all the Nak speakers including the subwoofer. He spent about half the install time building a small interface harness using special pin connectors that individually plugged into the slots in the connector leading to the Nak amp. Install cost was $125 which bought the total cost to almost exactly $500 including the DDX470 and a $15 bracket/surround kit that I think I got from Amazon.com. I liked the Pandora interface of the DDX470 better than the Pandora interface in Toyota Entune and Lexus Enform.

If you just want an aux-in and don't want too spend much, try Factory Radio Service in California: http://factoryradioservice.com/page.html?id=1

Factory Radio Service added its most deluxe aux-in to the Nak head unit in my 2000 LS400 for around $110 including shipping it back to me in Kansas. They installed an on/off button on the front of the Nak head unit and put the aux-in port on the back of it. They included a 6-foot aux-in cord that I routed to a phone holder. The aux-in was into the FM section of my Nak but it sounded absolutely CD quality. My CD changer was working and I could tell no difference between music on an original commercial CD and the same music that I had burned from CD to my phone. I did have to use a cheap ground loop isolator to suppress engine whine if I remember correctly but it didn't effect sound quality.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to the club and lexus. Just bought a 2002 LX470. Biggest problem, horrible stereo with blown speakers. After some research on this club and taking to stereo pros, I decided to change both head unit and speakers. It's complicated on my model as it's a smaller than normal single din Oem unit. The dealer and some

other shops told me : IT'S IMPOSSIBLE, very wrong, IT IS POSSIBLE.

Although I'm an electrician and can do this install, I went with a pro installer who knows toyota and Lexus. The shop is Custom car Alarm in Pleasant Hill, Ca. The awesome installer is Mike, he knows those cars inside and out. Shop tel #925-680-8881, make sure you talk to Mike, he is the only one that knows this procedure.

I went with ALPINE CDE-149-BT head unit. Blue tooth, hands free phone calls, USB, sirius XM….. Great Sound and WAY better than the Naka-LOUSY. (my opinion)

For Front door speakers, I spent a little extra and got the JL C2 650 with 1" twitters, sounds so good, great fidelity.

For rear speakers, I went with the Alpine SPS610.

For now no subwoofer but have the RCA cables extended so that can be done later without having to pull the head unit out. With this set up it will require a small amp.

USB extension cable to center console, charge your iPhone or memory stick with media.

Sirius XM SXV300 tuner. One call to sirius transferred my service from my last car to the new unit ($15. Fee).

Microphone by mirror.

Mike did a great job. He had to customize the head unit fitting and custom make a couple side wings. The speakers needed some customization as well.

The original rear speakers were 4" but he made a custom box for 6" speakers which are much nicer.

I'm VERY HAPPY with the installation, super clean. The sound is amazing, full fidelity, HUGE IMPROVEMENT.

Hi, I got a little more info from my installer: the nakamichi head unit has to stay in car in order for the nav system and a couple other things to work.

So he relocated the OEM nakamichi unit under passenger side dash and ran the needed 5-6 wires to it in a harnez he made. Than he installed the after market Alpine

head unit in the dash with some customization.

COST: $ 1200 parts and labor.

Hope this is helpful. Now I can go on my trip to Montana and rock out.

Cheers,

Alon

• 3 years later...

Hello there!

I also have a 2002 LX 470, and was relieved to read this post.  However I called Custom Car Alarm in Pleasant Hill, CA (I'm coming from Santa Cruz, CA) and Mike still works there but a coworker of his told me they are no longer able to get the harness for our vehicles due to the manufacturer not producing them anymore 😢

Just wanted to shed some light to anyone who found this post and to congratulate you on getting it when the getting was good!

On 8/1/2015 at 8:24 AM, alon.artist said:

Hi, I'm new to the club and lexus. Just bought a 2002 LX470. Biggest problem, horrible stereo with blown speakers. After some research on this club and taking to stereo pros, I decided to change both head unit and speakers. It's complicated on my model as it's a smaller than normal single din Oem unit. The dealer and some

other shops told me : IT'S IMPOSSIBLE, very wrong, IT IS POSSIBLE.

Although I'm an electrician and can do this install, I went with a pro installer who knows toyota and Lexus. The shop is Custom car Alarm in Pleasant Hill, Ca. The awesome installer is Mike, he knows those cars inside and out. Shop tel #925-680-8881, make sure you talk to Mike, he is the only one that knows this procedure.

I went with ALPINE CDE-149-BT head unit. Blue tooth, hands free phone calls, USB, sirius XM….. Great Sound and WAY better than the Naka-LOUSY. (my opinion)

For Front door speakers, I spent a little extra and got the JL C2 650 with 1" twitters, sounds so good, great fidelity.

For rear speakers, I went with the Alpine SPS610.

For now no subwoofer but have the RCA cables extended so that can be done later without having to pull the head unit out. With this set up it will require a small amp.

USB extension cable to center console, charge your iPhone or memory stick with media.

Sirius XM SXV300 tuner. One call to sirius transferred my service from my last car to the new unit ($15. Fee).

Microphone by mirror.

Mike did a great job. He had to customize the head unit fitting and custom make a couple side wings. The speakers needed some customization as well.

The original rear speakers were 4" but he made a custom box for 6" speakers which are much nicer.

I'm VERY HAPPY with the installation, super clean. The sound is amazing, full fidelity, HUGE IMPROVEMENT.

Hi, I got a little more info from my installer: the nakamichi head unit has to stay in car in order for the nav system and a couple other things to work.

So he relocated the OEM nakamichi unit under passenger side dash and ran the needed 5-6 wires to it in a harnez he made. Than he installed the after market Alpine

head unit in the dash with some customization.

COST: $ 1200 parts and labor.

Hope this is helpful. Now I can go on my trip to Montana and rock out.

Cheers,

Alon