Upsize Rims And Tires?

Just purchased a 2013 ES350 and will be thinking about snow tires in October. My plan is to have the factory Michelins dismounted and a new set of snows installed on the factory 17" rims. In the spring I would then like to purchase a new set of rims and tires and up size. If I went to 19", first would this be possible, if yes, would it have an effect of my speedometer or the factory warranty? What are some of the things I should look out for. I look forward to hearing your experience with tires and rims.

Thanks..

You'll have to go with substantially lower profile tires on 19" rims to keep your speedometer accurate. You can determine the tire size you will need by using one of the many "tire size calculator" websites (Google it). Or consult a company like Tire Rack.

19" inch tires will be substantially more expensive, wear out quicker and provide a harsher ride.

Having TPM sensors will be even more important since it is more difficult to visually identify a very low profile tire that is low on air pressure. And the ECU in your ES will have to be programmed to monitor the new TPMS. If your ES ECU allows for only one set of TPMS then you will have to reprogram the ES ECU each time you switch between winter and summer tires. Repair shops and dealers usually charge $100+ for reprogramming the ECU with TPMS ID's but you can do it yourself if you buy a tool like the ATEQ Quickset I have which cost me about $150 on Amazon.com.

I sometimes downsize when buying winter tires and wheels. For example, our 2012 Prius wagon came with 17" wheels and tires but I bought 16" wheels and tires (Blizzak WS70) for winter use. Our 2014 Sienna came with 18" wheels but I bought 17" wheels and tires (Blizzak WS80) for winter use. Smaller diameter wheels and higher profile tires make for a more compliant ride on potholed winter roads and smaller higher profile winter tires are usually less expensive.

• Like 1

I'd probably consider going to 18" rims rather than the 19. Going up one size is pretty straightforward and simple on Tire Rack. I use factory size tire (or maybe a tad bigger) for my snow tires. I know many people downsize their snows but so far I haven't been stuck.

• Like 1