Car Loving Cow.

13IS250C

I live in a rural area right outside of Memphis. I pass by a ranch with a LOT of head of cattle. Today when I passed by, all the other cows were in the middle of the field eating grass. There was one cow that was standing at the fence watching the cars go by. He was probably a car nut in a former life. It was funny looking. I wanted to get out and pat him.

Do they bite?

I remember renting a car in Baja Mexico, they told me to minimize driving at night. Since many pastures were unfenced, some cows like to wander onto the road which is one way to become hamburger (or dead meat) on a grill (Nissan compact car grill that is). Thankfully I didn't hit any cows on the road, because I did drive one night.

Back at home, a cow did escape 2 blocks away from my neighborhood, but it was mellow and didn't wander far from home. I guess I live in a somewhat rural area too, even if I don't own a tractor, heck I don't even have a lawnmower.

I think I have bitten more cows than cows have bitten me. Teeheehee. All in all, I think they are very gentle......except for bulls.

Here we have to watch out for deer running out in front of you. Scares me to death. I can only imagine what one would do to my pretty girl.

Geese are our biggest problems on the local roads. They walk right on in front of traffic and stand around not to mention the debris they leave behind. We are patiently waiting for Canada to melt so they return home.

Deer are biggest problem on local roads here too.

Not counting the occasional flat squirrels, cats, raccoons that I see of course.... The vultures cleaning up the road kill always seem to fly away before getting hit by cars.

A true car story of mine involving a cow:

Back in 2006 on a scorching summer afternoon we were in the middle of a heat wave in bay area of northern CA, defined as several days in a row with temperatures well over 100 degrees (or highs around 110 F for a week). I was driving my Boxster S on a quiet country road just outside of a gated neighborhood in the hills. I saw a cow keel over (probably dead from the heat) in a huge cloud of dust, weird.

Did you drag him home and pop him on the grill?

My brother lives in AR. His wife hit and killed a deer. Billy Bob behind her pulled over to see if she was OK and asked if he could have the deer and loaded it into his truck. That is road kill in the south.

Here in the plains of the upper Midwest, we are an all inclusive habitat state for all Deer, Cattle, Hogs, Rabbit, Turkeys, Racoon, Horses, Opossum, . Apparently there is no "Legal Limit" for how many or in what combination they can be on the road at anyone time.