Help With A Few Mod Questions..

Decision on Mods:

18" SSI Style 120 Wheels (8.5"F 9.5" rear) -- Yokohama DBS2 tires

Explosion style Body Kit (4 pc, no spoiler)

PIAA Foglights (Jspec for the body kit)

both full chrome grill and all black grill

2001+ taillights

Brembo Rotors/Axxis pads

"ARISTO" to replace "GS 300" symbol on trunk (or remove GS300 and Lexus off trunk)

Muffler Tips (to accent body kit)

sand/paint calipers VHT Red

white/blue wedge bulbs (trying LEDs)

Plasma White 9005

new custom floor mats

Hi, all! I just started surfing this site, I've been on www.clublexus.com for awhile. Anyway, I'm finally getting around to cleaning up the car really well, and I got a few questions.

1.I used the Lexus Leather Cleaner and Conditioner on my leather (black). I used a moderate amount of conditioner, and it appears a bit dry. Should I go back over with a liberal amount of conditioner? I didn't want to use too much up front, but i think I underestimated.

2.What type of grease should I use to regrease the sunroof motor? I'm going to clean out the entire "cavity" and would like to re-lube it while I'm there :)

3.My headlights (9006, non-HID) are badly scuffed/discolored. I bought some "headlight restorer" off of Ebay, will it be necessary to clean the inside of housing as well? The drivers side headlight has a scratch on the inside of the housing..it was scuffed by the interior housing?! anyway, I plan on disassembling and cleaning as well as possible, and I got some DRL Wedge bulbs coming in :rolleyes:. If I can get the lenses looking like new, i'll probably stay non-HID and get some 9005 and 9006 PIAA Xtreme White Plus..

4.Strip paint off Grill and "Chrome" it out..What type of paint stripper would you guys recommend? i've got aircraft stripper, would this be too tough on it? I've heard Goo B Gone and even Paint Thinner/Stripper works well, but what would you guys recommend for the least "elbow grease".

5.Does anyone have a preference on the cheap clear sidemarkers for sell? I noticed that there are 2 types on ebay, but wanted to know if anybody had experience with a certain type?

6. Does anybody know how well the Explosion Body Kit fits on the JZS161 's?? I like the style, but I don't want a kit that's going to take a lot of modification to fit properly..:cries:

My GS300 is (as of now) bone stock. I've got a set of 18's (8.5F & 8.5R), but I'm still waiting on one of them to be reshipped.

Hi, all! I just started surfing this site, I've been on www.clublexus.com for awhile. Anyway, I'm finally getting around to cleaning up the car really well, and I got a few questions.

1.I used the Lexus Leather Cleaner and Conditioner on my leather (black). I used a moderate amount of conditioner, and it appears a bit dry. Should I go back over with a liberal amount of conditioner? I didn't want to use too much up front, but i think I underestimated.

2.What type of grease should I use to regrease the sunroof motor? I'm going to clean out the entire "cavity" and would like to re-lube it while I'm there :)

3.My headlights (9006, non-HID) are badly scuffed/discolored. I bought some "headlight restorer" off of Ebay, will it be necessary to clean the inside of housing as well? The drivers side headlight has a scratch on the inside of the housing..it was scuffed by the interior housing?! anyway, I plan on disassembling and cleaning as well as possible, and I got some DRL Wedge bulbs coming in :rolleyes:. If I can get the lenses looking like new, i'll probably stay non-HID and get some 9005 and 9006 PIAA Xtreme White Plus..

4.Strip paint off Grill and "Chrome" it out..What type of paint stripper would you guys recommend? i've got aircraft stripper, would this be too tough on it? I've heard Goo B Gone and even Paint Thinner/Stripper works well, but what would you guys recommend for the least "elbow grease".

5.Does anyone have a preference on the cheap clear sidemarkers for sell? I noticed that there are 2 types on ebay, but wanted to know if anybody had experience with a certain type?

6. Does anybody know how well the Explosion Body Kit fits on the JZS161 's?? I like the style, but I don't want a kit that's going to take a lot of modification to fit properly..:cries:

My GS300 is (as of now) bone stock. I've got a set of 18's (8.5F & 8.5R), but I'm still waiting on one of them to be reshipped.

Hey, how's it going??

I'll try to answer some of your questions...

1. Don't be stingy, if it looks dry then make it wet.... :D

2. As for grease, use white Lithium grease...

3. What's your question?? :huh:

4. Paint thinner will work fine, but nothing too heavy duty because you don't want the plastic to melt..

5. From experience all those clear side-markers end up getting water inside then they tend to turn brown.. You may have to replace them often..

6. Now with bodykits, if you go with a good company you won't run into too many problems, if any at all.. I just put a very nice JDM kit on my car and it fit like a glove...

Good luck with your car and your future mods.. If you have any other questions feel free to shoot me a PM...

1. Thank you, I reconditioned my entire interior today while I had some time at work :). It was rather warm out, and I think it retained more of the conditioner this time.

2.white Lithium grease, check, i'll get right on it

3. what I meant to say was:

My headlights are scuffed on the exterior of the lense from rock chips, but the inside of the drivers side headlight lense is scuffed from the inner part of the headlight..i'm guessing from being adjusted all the way over incorrectly and it hit the housing..

4.I started off just doing the ribs, but I felt i was getting sloppy and just did the whole thing. I still have to touch it up tomorrow with bright light. I used the Aircraft Stripper, hopefully I haven't messed any of it up...we shall see..at worst I'll just get an aftermarket grill, or just sand and paint the factory grill.

5.thanks for advice on the side markers, maybe I will stay away from them right now.

6.I'm hoping this Explosion Kit fits well. I'm doing the 4 pc, no spoiler for me..

my new rim hasn't come in yet, and I still haven't gotten around to polishing/waxing the GS..i'm kinda intimidated, because I know it's a big project..

I've been meaning to ask you what type of DRL you have on your sig pic?? those have a pretty color to 'em.

Oh, and i can't PM you cuz i'm a new member.

I'm still considering purchasing a set of OEM HID's, i found a set, but i can't confirm they are HID, they look to be the green tinted lense, did this only come on the HID headlights?

rsgs300.JPG

Gotcha...

The inner lights are Piaa Blue l.e.d. wedge bulbs (the bulb size is 194)..

And for the headlights, the green tint headlights were used in all GS's in 2002, not sure about the last 2 years, but that headlight could either be HID or Halogen.. You'd have to take a look at the back side of the housings to see..

Thanks yet again! and so quick, i'd swear you were refreshing on this threa dpage. :pirate:

I ordered some of those 6led white/blue LED wedges, we shall see if they are worth anything. I foresee going with the white/white PIAA dual LED or polarg hyper bulb in the near future, but for $6.20 total off ebay, might as well try it, if for pix alone.

QUESTION: Do you know much about the Wald grill?

i know it's not "kosher" to post ebay links, but here's what I'm talking about...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW

It looks pretty much just like my 1999 GS300 grill, except painted black. Is this a factory JDM Aristo grill, or truly a Wald aftermarket grill in Japan?

Yeah, I just checked out Wald's site and they don't have a grill for the Aristo.. Maybe Wald painted the factory grill, and that's why it retails for over $700. I guess Wald uses "Special" paint.. :rolleyes: But if you like the stealth look with the "Toyota" emblem go for it but don't waste your money and pay too much for it...

Also, I don't have the blue/white piaa's.. Just plain jane blue.....

i got a set off ebay with 6 leds instead of the 2 leds that come on the PIAA (US) or 4 led (Japanese)..

I don't expect much from them, just thought I'd try them out for $6.20 shipped. Check ebay..

both of us are using LED lights, not the standard incandescent (correct?) bulb, but they are specifically made with to fit in the 168/194 type socket..

LEDs are a bit different, but they can give you a "truer" blue hue, with very low power consumption ;)

both of us are using LED lights, not the standard incandescent (correct?) bulb, but they are specifically made with to fit in the 168/194 type socket..

Yup that's correct.. I wish I had a pic of the bulb so I could show you.. I 'll take a look around and see if I can find something..

yeah...the DIY chrome grill didn't come out to my level of perfection. I don't think I did any of the damage, i think it was rock chips that i couldn't see until the paint was off..

anyway..i guess i'll just clean it up completely and have it chrome dipped. Until then, I'm going to buy that "wald" grill, though I'm pretty sure it's just an OEM Toyota Aristo grill painted black. Thanks for everything Mr.Sypher..

i'll post a link for pictures of the LED Wedge bulbs..

check out this ebay auction to see a multi LED bulb..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEBWN%3AIT

there is actually a side by side picture with a standard 168/ 194 bulb..for size reference.

he sells a 9 led version too, but it's a bit bigger..

Thanks for the link LexinTex, I needed the education!

Seems like, for my preference, things might get a little TOO bright with 6 LED's.

I hope you post some links when you get them installed!

I wonder how many are in the Polarg? I'll check the site I guess! ;)

I believe polarg only makes the 168/194 (or M4 as polarg measures it) in incandescent. If you look on the ebay link at the bottom, it shows the mutli-led next to a standard incandescent.

LEDs are more efficient about putting off light, but they put off more of a "beacon" type of light, instead of filling out the housing evenly..atleast that's what I'd expect from what i know about 'em.

we shall see, they should be here early next week.

those look REALLY nice, sypher!

I just did another round on the grill, paint is still coming out between the ribs, and i've used plenty of Aircraft stripper, paint thinner, and elbow grease! It looks like it'll come out decent. But, the chrome definitely shows the imperfections a lot more than the painted color (dark gray?)..My whole front end is pretty rock chipped, that's the only problem with my car. but, i was planning on a body kit anyway, so hopefully it will all turn out nice.

I think this is the final plans:

18" SSI Style 120 Wheels (8.5"F 9.5" rear) -- Pilot Sport AS or Toyo proxes

Explosion style Body Kit (4 pc, no spoiler)

PIAA Foglights (Jspec for the body kit)

both full chrome grill and all black grill

2001+ taillights

Brembo Rotors

"ARISTO" to replace "GS 300" symbol on trunk

Muffler Tips (to accent body kit)

sand/paint calipers VHT Red

white/blue wedge bulbs (trying LEDs)

Plasma White 9005

new custom floor mats

I still haven't attempted to restore my headlight housings. I need a link to a thread showing how to remove bumper and remove headlights.

OH, when i was "bathing" the grill in paint thinner, i realized that the rubber around the grill is coming off, i dissolved some of the glue. I guess I'll be reapplying it afterward, i guess it would've been necessary anyway.

i thought about the 9led bulbs, but i'm concerned with them being too big for the wedge bulb hole, or a pain in the rear to install. Though, i will be removing the headlights to properly restore them, so i won't have the problem of getting my hand up under hood to access bulbs..

that's a cool link, great prices on those 168/194 style bulbs. $1.49 for 4led? i didn't check shipping prices, though.

i'm thinking of redoing all my interior lights, but i'll probably just go with polarg M4s since i need illuminated light, not beacon type light.

Well, the mod bug is getting me even deeper into the money pit <_< .

I got some HID headlights (no bulbs/ballasts) off ebay for $55, so I am now in the market for some 6000K bulbs/ballasts..

also, i'm looking to order replacement bulbs for my interior. Are you sure the polarg M4 doesn't give off a blue color? i want a very clean white, especially for my reverse, license plate bulb, and others that could get me pulled over if blue. I'll deal with the LED wedge bulbs, but not the others ;P

Well, the mod bug is getting me even deeper into the money pit  <_< .

I got some HID headlights (no bulbs/ballasts) off ebay for $55, so I am now in the market for some 6000K bulbs/ballasts..

also, i'm looking to order replacement bulbs for my interior. Are you sure the polarg M4 doesn't give off a blue color? i want a very clean white, especially for my reverse, license plate bulb, and others that could get me pulled over if blue. I'll deal with the LED wedge bulbs, but not the others ;P

What do you mean when you say "no bulbs/ballasts"?? If you have no bulbs or no ballast's, you don't have anything.... You need the ballast's to power up the bulbs and you need the bulbs to get your light from.. HID's only consist of bulbs and ballast's...

Well, the mod bug is getting me even deeper into the money pit  <_< .

What do you mean when you say "no bulbs/ballasts"?? If you have no bulbs or no ballast's, you don't have anything.... You need the ballast's to power up the bulbs and you need the bulbs to get your light from.. HID's only consist of bulbs and ballast's...

I think he means the housings.

yup, HID housings. no retrofit bulbs for me. plus, i don't think all the rock chips are going to come off my 9006 headlight lenses..

here are the Ebay 6led white/blue wedge bulbs. though, he may have shipped me blue/blue..

f8dd5446.jpg

f8dd544b.jpg

f8dd5447.jpg

yup, HID housings. no retrofit bulbs for me. plus, i don't think all the rock chips are going to come off my 9006 headlight lenses..

$55 for both housings? That's a phenomenal deal. Just in case, you cannot use the standard HID kits in this housing. The usual HID kits are 9006 replacements. The ones that will fit in your HID housings are D2R bulbs. You might as well get the Lexus ballast since it will fit nicely under your housing.

yup. both housings for $55. that includes hibeam, DRL, side marker bulbs. The only thing removed are the HID bulbs/ballast. None of the tabs are broken, and they are 2003's..so i hope there is no fogging.