Error Code 4 Is Gone After Disconnecting Battery, But Still No Cd Play

2004lexusis300

Hi guys,

First time posting here as a new member, but I have received a lot of helpful advice from this site in the past.

I've got a 2004 IS300. The 6-disc CD changer had been giving me "Error Code 4" for months, and I finally disconnected my battery to see if that resolved the issue. After reconnecting my battery, the head unit no longer displayed 5 of 6 discs in my changer, or any error code. In fact, while the buttons (CD, eject, load, etc.) haven't been able to switch over to CD for months now, now my head unit is no longer even recognizing that I have CDs in the changer. It's acting as if the changer isn't even there, even though the radio and everything else work fine. Manually attempting to insert a CD doesn't work, as the loading function isn't working.

Does anyone have any advice on how I might be able to restore, or do I have to replace?

Thanks!

Hi James and welcome.

To begin with, I will verify that you've got a PROBLEM! What a cluster of symptoms.

I want to start from the beginning and make sure we have all the facts. You say that you had an error code for several months. During that time did you pull the codes to see if there were any other codes showing than the one on the CD display?

With the error message staying on, were there any operating problems? In other words, even though it showed a code, did everything keep working? Would it play CD's ?

I have seen simaler problems when a CD got stuck in the playing deck. What happens are an error sign, but if the CD can't be ejected then every time the player comes on the other CD's just keep smashing around until nothing can move.

One way members have solved the problem before it gets months long is to do what you did and dissconect the negative terminal from the battery and re-boot when you've restored power. (Some people swear the battery negative cable should be left off for at least 15 minutes. This assures that all the chips, power supply's, and other circuits to drain all their power before re-energizing them..

My best recommendation is to check out a respected Auto sound shop and see if that can tell if there is a stuck CD in the player. If the unit has to be replaced, for resale value I suggest you put in a original Lexus system.

Please let us know how things are going.

Paul

Thanks Paul.

I think I should clarify.

The CD changer has not worked at all since the head unit started displaying Error Code 4 when I pressed the CD button. I haven't been able to eject or load a CD since then either. I HAVE had the display showing that I had 5 of 6 potential CDs in the changer, and the radio continues to work fine. Now, after disconnecting the battery, there is no display for any CDs present, even though they have not been ejected. The Load and Eject buttons still don't do anything, and the CD button will not switch the stereo from radio to the CD changer.

I feel like my next step is to replace, or upgrade from the changer/cassette desk stock option to a more modern CD player / bluetooth iPod connection.

Thanks again for any thoughts or insight.
James

Sounds like a plan. I still think this is more of a mechanical issue than electronics. At least a new unit would be sure to get you back in order and as you said, some more up to date features.

Paul

Oh yeah. Bluetooth is the way to go. As soon as I crank my car it starts playing the music on my iPhone. So awesome. I don't have to touch a thing.

It is funny, when I'm going to wash my car and I go back it out of the garage, it will pick up my phone sitting in my kitchen in my purse!! I love Steve Jobs. My he rest in iPeace.

• 2 weeks later...