Question About A Module In Trunk

Exhaustgases

Saw a 92 in a wrecking yard with a black electrical module behind the tool box panel on the left side in the trunk, it is mounted on its own special brackettry and has a key lock on it towards the rear. This car was an air ride car, does that box have something to do with that? And why the key lock?

I have not had the trunk panels out of the 92, I'll have to check and see if it has the brackets sticking out. I'm too sick right now.

I will study this some more when I feel better. The particular car had what I think is the amplifier on the bulkhead on the driverside near the gas tank. Just wondering why the key lock on the box? I saw this in a picture someplace for a newer car too but the box was a different size and color.

And here I thought it was a lock box for storing your precious jewelry, like diamonds, gold, silver. ^_^

A factory phone control box sounds about right. Back in the early 90's, mobile phones were jewels.

Paul, you win a cigar. See Steve for details on how to collect.

I have a 90 that had a phone, though the phone is gone from the center console box, it has the hands free mic, antenna in the rear window and the radio in the trunk that is mounted above and to the left side not down in the area below the tool box, and has no key lock. I have seen others with the phone with this same sort of setup though the 92 I saw had the radio mounted on the right hand side. And yes that link shows the exact same box that I was talking about.

The latest news, looked at 92 shop manual and it shows that as the transceiver, funny having a key lock that is super difficult to get to. Kinda strange the one 92 I looked at months ago had the phone but had the transceiver mounted in the area where a 90 would but on the right hand side. And since that supposed 92 I looked at is still forsale I just looked it up and its not a 92 its a 91, that's what happens with age and looking at too many cars does to ya. So no more mystery.