Is This A Good Deal On A 00 Ls400?

mischiefse7en

Im looking at buying a 2000 Ls400. It has 248k miles on it. This year its had new spark plugs, brakes, starter, alternator, and tires. It has been repainted, and its not bad, but it has a little orange peel and would look way better with a wet sand and polish. The only options I noticed offhand were: moonroof, heated seats, 6 disk changer, and chrome wheels.

So I have some observations and questions:

Brake wear indicator is still on (found the answer to that already)
Paint isnt great

It has a little vibration about 65mph+ on the highway, passenger front tire has some feathering on the outside edge so it could be that. Any other culprits?

But the major concern is that the person has owned the car 7 years and doesnt know when the last time the timing belt and water pump was done. (he hasnt done it)

The car is silver (and was originally silver) with black interior and he wants $4000. Is this a decent deal or should I keep looking?

Hi and welcome to the Club.

When it comes to a Lexus that is 15 years old, the price is really not hard and fast. If you haven't already, the first thing to do would be to check it's value using Kell'ys Blue Book, or Edmund's. Both can give you an approximate value for the LS.

With the mileage as high as it is, plus the age, I would be concerned about a ride that would nickle and dime you to death.

Paul

There are people on this site who have lots of expertise on LS400s, but my immediate question: why has the car been repainted? Body work underneath? Was there rust or damage? And if the paint shows orange peel, how good was any related work?

At 248K miles, I'd walk away and not think twice.

Not where you are in Virginia but,

I watch craigslist often and have seen many nice LS400's for under $5000

Sold my 90 with 200,000 miles for $2500 but it was to a friends son so I maybe could have gotten $3000 had I been like that. Finding the right car takes time and perceivance. The worst time to buy a car is when you are in a hurry. The mileage on the car doesn't concern me nearly as much as the repaint. The paint on my 90 was (is) still perfect.

With 250k miles, $4k is way too high. Keep looking. There are lots of LS's in better shape. Maybe a little bit more $$ but well worth waiting for. You might even consider stepping up to an LS430. They are getting more and more affordable.

I would not buy a Lexus that has a total repaint. If it needs that it was not taken care of. And could have been a flood car, a hail car, a kids messed it up car, and any other numerous problems like that. Gosh then there is all the other problems you mentioned it has.

Its only got maybe another 50K or so before other problems could crop up. The initial cost is the bad thing, it doesn't leave any room to fix stuff. Do the math, if your not a mechanic sort and even if you are, your going to put another 3K in it maybe even a diy er time should be factored in, you minds well look for a 7K or 8K perfect low mile car that has no repaint and will actually hold some of the money you spend to buy it. The repaint car will not sell good when and if you decide to do so. Especially with a bad paint job like you described. I and many others would not even look at it if its been repainted. I won't bat an eye at a higher than it should be price on the car I'm looking for. I just want a perfect body and paint and interior, like brand new, and I'd go pretty high $ for the right one. The engine could have a hole in the block that's the easy stuff. A perfect body is not.