Gs300 (00-01) Or Gs400 (00 Model) Any Problems?

Hey...

I am considering to get another car (I have Benz C320 right now) and have heard good stuff about Lexus reliability.

I am thinking to get either ES300 (year 2002 and up), GS300 (00-01 model) or GS400 (00 model). To help me making the decision, I'd like to know more about any problems that you've had so far with your car. I don't have any problems with my car but I've read reviews that Benz reliability tends to get worse lately...

What kind of problems have you encountered with GS300 (00-01 models) or GS400 Year 2000 ?

Also, what's exactly covered under Lexus warranty and how many years and mileage (I am not familiar with Lexus at all)?

Do you guys get a loaner during service?

What kind of service maintenance do you have to have and how much does it cost?

(Benz has 4 yr/50K miles free regular maintenance and warranty)

I appreciate any inputs..

PS: I asked a similar question in ES300 forum but I'd like to get GS owners as well.

Hi,

Just got mine (GS3 01) 3 months ago. Has been very good only, had rattling problems with the sunshade and right mirror both replace by dealer at no charge under warranty. So far no problems.

Factory warranty is 4/50,000 yrs/miles basic and 6/70,000 powertrain. In my experience, they have been very good with warranty service.

Loaners have been provided for major service and when they are available.

Good luck

B)

No problems at all...depending on what the car is going to be used for, I would probably go with the GS400, though the GS300's engine is rock solid.

I have not had a single problem with either of my cars (the RX shares the same engine as the ES) that the dealer did not fix for free...zero problems with my GS.

I have ALWAYS received a loaner when doing work at the dealer...usually a new RX or IS.

The dealer is expensive, hence the free loaner :D

They will only loan if the work is over an hour or two...otherwise they expect you to wait for the car. Since I drive a good distance to get there, I usually tell them to take their time and give me a car.

guys..any other inputs?

I am really considering 00 GS400 or 01 GS430 now after careful considerations..

please let me know any problems that you have with these cars..

could someone explain about the service and the cost for GS??

• 2 months later...

Ntran18 - I was wondering if you could provide a little more detailed information about that rattling noise you were dealing with your sunshade and mirror. I am having wind noise issues coming from the right side mirror, maybe b/c it is not a good fit. Maybe I can get them to change my mirror too.

Thanks.

I recently purchased a 2000 GS 400 and LOVE IT!!!! I got a great deal via a dealer contact and ended up paying a little less than the car's trade in value.

I initially was looking at a '98 but reconsidered after checking out the JD Edwards quality sight, which rated the 2000 higher. The 2000 also includes the brake assist feature which helps control the car when braking around curves.

Even though the car looks and runs great, the first thing I did was take it to my local lexus dealer to get it checked out and all the fluids checked - my advice to anyone purchasing used. And then I had it professionally detailed. Even driving it off the lot the first day, I got positve comments (from both sexes) but the detailing gave it that showroom look.

As for navigation, I've got a stand alone unit (Garmin 2600), which works just fine for me - I also use this portable unit in my other vehicle and my motorcycle.

Another consideration is that 2001 models no longer have the manual shift paddles on the steering wheel. Not a big deal if you're not really in to pushing the engine (in all reality the automatic does just fine at blowing the doors off other cars.)

I did an awful lot of research (including reading almost every related posting on this site) and found the car rates very favorably up against competition from BMW and Mercedes in terms of performance and blows away the competition in terms of quality.

Goodluck!!!!

• 2 months later...