Oil Change On Ls400

josephls400

Just bought a 91 LS400 with 95,000 miles. Carfax and Lexus dealers checked it out to be a great car. No owner's manual and am working on getting one as we write this. However, I wanted to change the oil and trying to figure out if I can just do this myself. Need help on where the filter is located, as the engine compartment is so well shrouded. Anybody care to give a LS400 novice a helping hand? Also, what oil should I be putting in. Read the postings for standard oil vs. synthetic and have no idea what to use. I do not know what oil is in there now.

Also have that knocking on start up when she runs at 1.2-1.3 RPM at start up. Maybe a different oil/filter will resolve that?

Joseph,

The oil filter is located on the drivers side of the car and is fairly easily accessed from underneath the car although there is a hose or two to work around. I found it necessary to my 90 LS on jack stands to make room to work under the car. You will need an oil filter wretch - the smaller lever-type used for import cars. It will be necessary to remove the plastic cover under the engine - there are a total of 13 bolts holding it in place. When reinstalling the plastic cover, be sure to only hand tighten the front five bolts - they screw into plastic inserts that have threads that are easily stripped but also inexpensive and easily replaced.

Be sure to replace the washer on the drain plug and take care not to overtighten it so that you do not strip the threads. The best place I have found to buy filters and the drain plug washers is at a Toyota dealer. They are the same as used on a Toyota V8 Landcruiser and we buy filters by the case for a unit cost of a little over $4.

The recommended oil is 5W30. You will find lots of people recommending different brands and even non-original filters. Personally I use Mobil 1. Whether sythetic oil really helps is debatable. I did, however drive my first LS for 185,000 and it used no oil between 5,000 mile interval changes. I can't comment on the knock - I've never heard an LS engine do that.

Good luck. You've purchased a great car.

Jim

Get a FREE owners manual at: www.Lexus.com

Have your VIN ready.

Personally, I think just about anything with valve clearance would knock on startup with 5 weight oil [in the winter]--it is just about like sewing machine oil !!!!! As a result it drains to the pan. But pressure builds-up rather quick.

I found out that you do not have to remove the engine splash pan to change the oil. Remove the two 10mm bolts on the drivers side near the transmission. You can then bend back the shield enough to remove the filter. It's pretty easy on this car to get at but as 90 Jim said, you definitely need ramps because these cars are so low. The splash pan bolts are 10mm, and the drain plug is 14mm. I have heard many people say about replacing the drain bolt gasket, but I never have and it has never leaked. I use a Fram XG filter ($10).

Regarding oil, don't put anything other than 5W-30. in your car. I would certainly recommend using synthetic because it is far superior. I use Mobil 1. In nothern climates they sometimes use 0W-30 now. To better undertsand oil I suggest you read the post on OIL on this forum.

It really is quite easy plus it gives you a chance to look around under there. There are no lubrication points on the car so you don't need a grease gun.