Looking For 2007 Navigation

xlexus

Hi everyone i jus bought my first lexus its an 07 es 350 and so far i love the car. it has everything except the GPS and rearview back up camera. i was just wondering if anyone was selling the dash gps head unit so i can swap them out?

xlexus,

Your best bet is to check eBay as they come up there with some frequency from wrecking yards. Be aware that just having the head unit will not be enough. The dash surround is entirely different on a Navigation equipped ES, as is the radio, and HVAC. Everything is integrated on the nav screen. That may mean that wiring harnesses may be different, the control units for each system as well.

Then there is the GPS antenna that hides in the rearview mirror (I believe) as well as its wiring harnesses, the rear camera and its wiring to the front of the car. The list and work involved will be daunting to someone who isn't a wrenching fanatic, because all kinds of interior panels are going to have to be removed and replaced. And to expect a dealership to do it will prove almost as expensive as what you paid for the car.

You need to do some research before you jump in and find that you are in over your head. That may prove difficult unless you can get access to a Lexus Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your year. They are expensive and few people have them outside of the dealerships. Even Toyota Dealerships don't have access to them.

I suggest finding a Lexus tech person who can give you an idea as to what you may need, and then find an ES of your same generation that has been written off in a wrecking yard, and then canibalize it for the parts you need.

Be aware that even when you're done with the install, that updated GPS mapping will still be required, and on eBay they aren't cheap.

Personally, your best bet is to live with what you have right now, save some bucks, and keep your eye open for a Nav equipped ES down the road, and then do a swap. To give you an idea ... I have a non turbo 1990 300ZX, and on the forums every week there is someone who buys one and wants to make it into the turbo version tire shredder.

The forum advice is always the same .... if you want the twin turbo version, sell your non turbo and buy a twin turbo. The cost and expense of making one is far too expensive in time and money to even consider doing. Good Luck!