Newbie... Just Bought A 01 Es 300

Geo

Hi gang:

I'm a "real" newbie. I just bought a 2001 ES300, I mean within the last hour or so. I did plenty or research and I believe I got a good deal (at least I don't feel raped!). There is no question that it is a very nice car. My Lexus is black with a tan interior, chrome wheels. Sweet !

Any suggestions for things I should get or look out for ? Any good places to buy acccesories ? Nothing stupid punk like but just stuff to keep it in top shape. Example: Alarms, waxes, how to keep the dust off the darn black car !, etc.

Hope to "talk" to you later,

Geo

Any suggestions for things I should get or look out for ?

a pretty girl to sit next to you would be nice if you don't already have one. ;) :D :lol:

ok, I'm all about lighting.

Change out your lights and fogs to a nice white bulb.

I suggest Sylvania Silverstars or PIAA Xtreme Whites.

as for waxes and stuff.....cruise the Inside & Out Detailing Forum.

welcome to the club, sit back and enjoy the ride.

steviej

Geo, your ride sounds almost like mine (2001 black/tan ES300), except for the chrome wheels (they sure look nice). Congrats on your recent purchase. How many miles are on there?

As far as cleaning accessories, get a decent carnauba wax like Meguiar's 3-step, a bottle of Meguiar's Quik Detailer or Wax spray for those spot-spraying dirty spots on the car, a bag of 100% US white cotton towels or old T-shirts, and a good chrome polish applicant for your wheels. To safely wipe dust off your car w/out scratching the surface, I suggest getting what's called the "California Duster" (about $8). It's a red ragged brush with a white plastic handle, but the brush contains special embedded oil to attract the dust to the brush. If you're wondering, I personally have used all of these cleaning items, and they're a solid part of my cleaning item collection :D

That's pretty much all I can think of for now..

T-shirts are about the worst thing you can use for paint because they have no nap. Terry and microfiber towels work because the fibers wick dust and dirt into the weave of the towel keeping it from scratching the finish. Wiping the finish with a T Shirt just drags these things along. T shirts are great for windows, but shouldn't be used for paint.

You also dont want to use chrome polish on the wheels, just use anything you use to wax/protect the paint. The wheels are clearcoated themselves, just like the paint.

Congrats!

Welcome Geo, I have a 01 ES as well.....cahsmere beige on ivory leather....it's a sweet ride! :D I usually let my buddy that owns a detailing shop take care of the waxing & rustproofing as he uses "paint sealant" as opposed to wax or polish (the sealant is more durable & last quite a bit longer than the others plus it's garage kept :) ). I'd consider a classy tint to add to the car which will exhance the appearance that much more. And what steviej said......just a pretty girl & your all set :lol: ;) What's the milage?

:cheers:

Thanks for the welcome.

Girls pretty much ignore me. Basically they don't even look my way. Now at least I'll be able to see their faces. I do have a ball and chain so it would not matter anyway.

45,000 miles.

How about a good car cover, its garaged but it can get dusty.

Later, George

If its garaged car covers are a PITA in my opinion. They're always a PITA but are neccisary if the car is parked outside.

Lexus, you can use a paint sealant too, there are MANY on the market ;) I only use sealants nowadays, wax just doesn't last long enough, except for Collinite waxes.

George,

We pretty much have the exact same milage on our 01's :D Not to worry about the girls.......now that you have the Lexus......they will come! :lol: B) I park mine in the garage too without a car cover....I'd take sw's suggestion & apply a good paint sealant to the finish & just wash it frequently.....the car cover is a big pain in the butt overtime & I'd only use one of those if the car was in storage. THe black attracts the dust no dought, but I think you can pick up one of those "detailing" brushes at an auto parts or detailing store. Hose out the garage if you can to reduce the amount of dust on the floor might be something to consider too. :)