Sc300/400 Cluster Compatibility

GSGERRY

Hi Everyone...well this is my first post so I guess I should say hello. I have been on this site for a while gleaning lots of good information and would like to say thanks for that!

So, my specific issue is this: I have a 1992 sc300 in which the speedo needle wasn't working. I bought a complete set of needles locally from a guy that came out of a 1992 sc400. I brought my cluster with me and we switched out the needles, he showed me that they all worked using a 9 volt battery. When I got home and plugged the cluster back in the car none of the needles worked. I pulled it back out and put my needles in again and it worked as before.

So my question is do I need to replace my speedo needle with one from a 300 or is there something else going on here? Also the guy is offering me his old sc400 cluster as a possible fix but I'm wondering if there are compatibility issues if I go that route.

Thanks in advance for any insights...

Gerry

Gerry, I think the problems is that your oroiginal cluster is not a true 1992 cluster or his needles are out of a 1995 and up cluster. The 92-94 have the same polarity, the 95 and up (2000), are reverse polarity. Even though you tested the needles, they will NOT work on your cluster. I think you have a different year cluster or the needles are from a 1995 and up. I would switch the mother board out and bam, best of both worlds. The problem still is that the newer cluster will show that mileage, not yours you have now.

Gerry, I think the problems is that your oroiginal cluster is not a true 1992 cluster or his needles are out of a 1995 and up cluster. The 92-94 have the same polarity, the 95 and up (2000), are reverse polarity. Even though you tested the needles, they will NOT work on your cluster. I think you have a different year cluster or the needles are from a 1995 and up. I would switch the mother board out and bam, best of both worlds. The problem still is that the newer cluster will show that mileage, not yours you have now.

I believe this is the problem, I went through this with my 92 ES300...

To answer your second question, all the pre 1996's (92-96) will work on your 1992. When get into the 1997's and up, there is some rewiring that has to be done in order for it to work. There have been some people to take own this task and have successfully got it to work, but it isnt worth it to me.

If you decide to go with a 1995-96 cluster, the needles will still work. The reverse polarity is in the mother board itself, so if you use the whole cluster, it is plug and play. Its when you start mix matching, is when you need to know the years and compabilities of each.

If you have white face needles, they are 92-94, if the needles are red, then they are most likely 95-2000. I hope this clears up some confusion for you. If you need anything further, please ask.

To answer your second question, all the pre 1996's (92-96) will work on your 1992. When get into the 1997's and up, there is some rewiring that has to be done in order for it to work. There have been some people to take own this task and have successfully got it to work, but it isnt worth it to me.

If you decide to go with a 1995-96 cluster, the needles will still work. The reverse polarity is in the mother board itself, so if you use the whole cluster, it is plug and play. Its when you start mix matching, is when you need to know the years and compabilities of each.

If you have white face needles, they are 92-94, if the needles are red, then they are most likely 95-2000. I hope this clears up some confusion for you. If you need anything further, please ask.

I Believe this Information to be Correct. Check these guys out... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CE8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Flextech.org%2F&ei=BLFZUoNKkqrJAaqugYAJ&usg=AFQjCNGxXqgpBU4z8mzhmF135-tJZPliBw&sig2=2kEfAUjcmh7fX8MdK19uYA&bvm=bv.53899372,d.aWc And You Owe Me A Beer :cheers: