Is It Just Me Or Is Anyone Else Thinking That The Quality Of Interiors

branshew

...is going downhill?

I've noticed recently that the interior of other Japanese luxury brands isn't quite as nice as Lexus. I still think that Lexus is behind the Germans (esp. Audi), but they seem to be better than their competition. I am in no way trying to sound snobbish, but I have been looking at used cars recently and I'm just not that impressed by the Acuras and Infiniti's that I have seen. I have an 02 ES300 and that model range (02-06) was really well done. Looking at a 2010 TSX and TL and neither was as nice on the inside. The Honda Accord EXL looks better. Same goes for the Infiniti G35/37 sedans. Moving to the M-Class in Infiniti makes a big leap, but the TL still leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm thinking about getting back into another wagon and the 2010 Passat that I drove was nicer than all of the aforementioned models. Even the brushed aluminum trim in the Passat was better than the faux painted plastic aluminum trim in the TSX/TL. Maybe if they had some wood grain trim on the inside of the lower end models it would look nicer.

I can honestly say that even the new Lexus models aren't quite as nice as the older ones. I've also looked at newer ES350s (09) and they aren't as nice as mine. My Dad's 2010 LS460 drivers door armrest is cracked and split and that car is barely 3 years old. The quality of materials used has definitely gone downhill almost across the board.

Yes, it's been mentioned here before. IMHO, I see it's less of a quality issue and more of a cost-cutting move(s) to use lower cost materials across the board, although I'm not finding it to be alarming. I find the trend applying to all the automakers including the major premium brands.

Probably the worst interior of recently owned vehicle was 06 Mercedes ML350 (although the small amounts of real wood trim was nice), the steering wheel was so crappy and had sharp dangerous edges that even Honda and Toyota would not use in entry level cars, (not to mention the crap quality of mechanical and electrical systems).

But if you really think about it, can you think of anything that has improved in quality over the years? Everything is all about making it faster and cheaper.

I think it is a sign of the times.

When I traded my 2005 ES330 for a 2010 ES350, I thought Lexus had lost it's mind with the interior design. I did not like the inverted tear drop center console, nor the mix-matched carpet color on the sides of the console where it met the floor carpet. However, they had at least kept a reasonal amount of wood in the cabin. Having said all these negatives, why did I buy the car? It was time to trade given miles, year, depreciation, and wanting a new exterior style. (why people trade/buy cars is far from an exact sience.

When I purchased my 2013 ES I special ordered it from the factory in Japan so I could get the leather interior, not the Nu-luxe (I'm not sure of the spelling). It feels great. But again, I was disapointed with the interior. There is hardly enough wood in the cabin interior to make a good tooth pick.

There is only a thin strip along the dash and a another little piece along the doors. Mine came with the exspreso stain and unless the sun is shining directley on it, it just looks black.

This is my whine fest for now.