Replace Side View Mirror Control

RIkardo

1992 Lexus LS 400

The four way control, for the exterior side view mirrors, is loose (recessed), and will not control mirrors. I assume control module needs replacement. I cannot figure out how to access and remove old unit. Does anyone have a suggestion.

Thank You,

Richard

post-146644-0-73379100-1376605906_thumb.

Haven't come up with anything yet. Except, there is a screw on underside of front panel, access to which is blocked by emergency brake control rod. Lexus dealer has replacement part ( no instructions), dimensions of which are approx 2x2x3 in. So, I believe control is part of control module. PS: Very expensive to buy, so want to know I can install it.

Hi Richard. Welcome to the Club.

I think Billy and I might be thinking along the same lines. In 9 out of ten times the "L"- "R" switch has been left in the middle position, thus making the 4 way control pad dead. By flicking the L-R switch to one or the other positions re-powers the control oad.

However, you sound like you are way ahead of that type of thing and have already thought of that.

In the past, when I've had to have interior door panels, or dash boards removed, I go to a car stereo store. Those guys take cars apart every day as they run wires in the craziest places. Their fairly cheap to.

Paul

Paul,

Right now, the center dash panel is removed as I have sent the A/C Climate Control unit to Jay Walker. The Time/Temp LCD has been BLACK for years, and I decided it was time to fix it. He seems to be very knowledgeable, and am confidant he will send it back better than new.

I have operated the four-way side view mirror switch, but not in the way you propose. I'll try, but it's not encouraging though, as it is both loose and inoperable.

As soon as center dash is back together, I plan on following your suggestion of a radio shop. Good idea!

Thanks,

Richard

I wonder if the mirror control module is held in place by simple friction fittings like much of the interior trim on vehicles made by Toyota. The attached diagram does not show any hardware holding the module in place but that does not mean there isn't any.

Have you tried prying the module out with a plastic/resin non-scarring trim removal tool? The other attached image shows the plastic "XM" trim removal tool I use to pry out just about everything imaginable in car interiors.

Edit: It took me less than a minute to find a perfect looking used mirror control / remote on/off switch module ($39.99 or best offer) for a 90-94 LS400 on eBay. There may be others but I stopped after finding the first one.

post-2157-0-54709100-1376744750_thumb.jp

post-2157-0-26531300-1376744969_thumb.jp