What Are My Options On This Issue? Paint Job On New Car!

dcrunin

I bought a new 2013 Lexus es350 on June 8. During my first wash I saw that part of the paint at the edge of the car hood (close to the windshield wiper) on the driver side was gone. You could see the bare metal there. It was on the edge and the inside of the hood - you could not tell by standing in front of the car but was in your face from the side view. It was around 2-3 inches long and 3 mm wide.

By the time I notice it I already had around 1200 miles on the car (drives from DC to WV to see family). I took it back to the dealership and they have after a failed attempt touched it up. You cannot see the metal but I can clearly see where the touch up happened and it is not a good finish at all. The sales manager tells me my only option is now to get the whole hood painted. He is willing to do that but advises against it saying it will affect the value of my car.

I feel shafted! I paid for a new car and now I am getting a touched up car which i can see from a 2 feet distance has bee touched up! what are my options? Any advice? I used to drive BMWs and never once had to deal with anything like this before. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Wow...I almost agree with him. I don't think I would want the whole hood repainted. It is like the hood hit the fender when someone was closing it?

I can't believe they can't find someone that can touch it up better than that being that it is on the edge. They touch up used cars on lots all the time. I had a guy touch up my Camaro once and he was with a company called Colors on Parade. Not sure if that is a national chain or not. I would investigate something like that and make the dealer reimburse you.

It is totally rediculous to have a brand new car of that caliber with a flaw. I would have, what we call in the south, a hissy fit!!!

Which dealer did you take it to? Its probably that at some point during the PDI they lifted the wiper arm up, which if they aren't pulled up into winter mode will scratch the hood in the way you describe.

I would not repaint the hood, you're just asking for more trouble. I would ask for a couple hundred dollars and take it to a professional detailer and let them touch it up. They will do a better job.

On another note? Where in WV is your family? I'm from Fayetteville living in the DC area now.

Hey -

Thanks for the suggestions. I bought it from Pohanka Lexus and took it back to them for the touch up. Any suggestions of a good detailer in the DC area?

Also, now i have a few new scratches from where they might have put some equipment for the touch up!!! I think they can be buffed out but all this is such a pain!

Hey SW03ES - My folks are in Princeton, WV (it isnt that far from Fayetteville) and I live in DC.