Problem With Check Engine And Trac Warning Light

Hi,

The dealer replaced the car stereo on my 99 ES300 and after driving about 3 miles the check engine light and TRAC OFF light came ON. The dealer is refusing to acknowledge that this is some screw up on their part with the wiring install they did for the stereo.

I found out how to reset the lights in the uk lexus forum (by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes). That worked so far, after driving about 70miles the lights have not come on again.

I am concerened that by reseting the warning lights I may have side stepped or overridden the indicators so as to not display the problem and I am driving the car assuming all's well meanwhile the problem still lurkes beneath.

Would the indicator lights come ON if the problem still exists? Kindly help if you have any idea or information.

Thanks

No, after reseting the computer, if the condition were still present the lights would come back on.

I wouldnt worry. Basically what you did was clear the trouble code from the computer so it was no longer there to fire the light. If the condition were still present, the computer would store another trouble code and cause the light to fire again.

did the abs light come on also?

sometime the wheel bearings start to go and when a bump in the road is hit the sensor goes out

now resetting the computer is fine and this will clear the code

but if it was a wheel bearing you probably wont'see a problem for a while as it takes a bit of force to move

the traction control also uses the same sensor in the bearing

other wise i am not sure

also if a problem is registered on a lexus and goes away after 3 cyclyes of the engine off and on it will turn off the light by itself but keep the code in the memory

I had the same prob. check the O-2 sensors. There are 4. Two in the front and two in the back. It is the two in the front that are usually the problem. Have them replace both and the prob should go away. Good luck, Lexlugar -------sc400