Is My Cluster On Its Way Out?

Ok so this seems a bit strange to me, but when I start my car, the cluster is fully lit (with the exception of a burnt out bulb at the top of the tachometer. The needles are completely lit up. When I start to drive the needle lights start to fade out. Is my cluster going or does this sound more like an electrical draw?

the temp needle fades the most, while the tach and speed needles tend to flicker. the fuel needle is totally fine. I'm also getting a hyper flasher saying I have a light out but none of my lights are actually out.

Ah yes, "flicker"--that's the dead giveaway.

This is a very, VERY common problem. In fact it's almost impossible to find a 92-96 ES300, 92-97 SC or 93-97 GS gauge cluster that still works! The needles weren't wired correctly and cannot take the voltage and current being delivered to them by the cluster. Over time, they get overloaded, begin to flicker and fail one section at a time. There's no fix, only replacement. There are several companies (lextech for example) that re-build the needles and clusters for ~$200-300.

is it possible to simply buy a replacement one that has the mileage optimized to the current damaged one?

You can certainly purchase a new cluster from your dealer, but the cost will most likely be more than the vehicle is worth. There are "refurbished" clusters on eBay for a much better price.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the headsup man I appreciate it. Now if someone could tell me an easy way to remove the cluster that would be awesome. I just wanted to replace some burnt out bulbs and swap them for LEDS. I already had it apart once. I was even able to remove the connector behind the cluster on the driver side but for some reason the connectors on the passenger side are friggin impossible. I know there's little tabs on the connectors but can figure out a way to depress them without damaging the plastic. any tips would be awesome!!!!!! :angry:

is it possible to simply buy a replacement one that has the mileage optimized to the current damaged one?

You can certainly purchase a new cluster from your dealer, but the cost will most likely be more than the vehicle is worth. There are "refurbished" clusters on eBay for a much better price.

Ok so the strangest thing happened. Once I put my cluster back together and fired the car up, my needles were solid, no more flickering lights etc, and the bulbs that were out were now magically back on. Now I have an aftermarket 6000k plug and play HID low beam kit in the car. When I turn my lights on the cluster completely dims, but again the needs were solid. It wasn't until I turned the dimmer light to full on, that the temp needle started to fade out. When I dialed the dimmer back, it went back to normal. I'm wondering now if I change my battery out if the issue would go away.

The needles will flicker/dim when more voltage and current are delivered to them. When you lower the dimmer switch, less power is sent to them and so the flickering should reduce.

strange they were fine for a day, now they're back to doing what they were doing before

Yeahhh, it all depends on the voltage being delivered to the needles. Lexus didn't add enough voltage regulation. If you lower the dimmer you can extend the life considerably. Glad everything's working now though-if they worked before, they should work with the dimmer lowered. :)

well it worked out for about 24 hours after I basically unplugged stuff and then plugged it back in, but now its basically doing what it was doing all over again. Thats why I was wondering if I add a more powerful, and fresher battery if it would help

• 1 month later...

NO this will NOT help. You need to listen to the information provided. Its in the needles itself. Replace them with similar years. 92-94, are th eonly ones that will work. If you go with 95-2000 ones, they will not work either, due to them having reverse polarity. If you change the cluster to a 95-96, then those years will work...

I had my climate control redone by them. What great work. I chose to buy and install LEDs for the cluster. I also added a little something tomake them more even and bright. I also have their needles in blue. I had to send them back twice, only two of them for warranty work. Great service for the money.